Hastings and Southland properties positive for Mycoplasma bovis

More
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #536928 by Kilmoon
I can't remember which political group it is that want all cows gone from NZ so that our rivers become safe to swim etc. ......but I guess they're now going to get their way.
That is a hell of a lot of cattle/calf movements to track.....plus stock trucks used...plus every contractor or visitor to those farms.
Bets on how long it takes for govt to throw their hands in the air and say we have a new disease, so get used to it?
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Kilmoon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536932 by Mudlerk
Once that billionaire had imported it, there never was any hope of stopping it from spreading, so don't try to blame the government!

More
6 years 4 months ago #536933 by Ruth
How do you know he imported it and by what route do you propose?

I don't disbelieve you, since it appears to have started there, but what do you know that the rest of us don't? If, for example, it could be carried in bull semen, I could as easily have inadvertently brought it to my herd.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536934 by Kilmoon
Mudlerk - I'm not blaming anyone....I'm merely pointing out that our govt departments have a poor record in trying to keep out pests/diseases in recent times and their slow response times to making decisions are becoming a bit of a joke (I gather that the cattle were only ordered to be slaughtered AFTER the govt was forced/blackmailed into paying compensation). If this was foot & mouth we'd be up the proverbial creek....how many did Britain end up slaughtering to try and contain their last outbreak in the 1990s or was it 1980s? Can NZ taxpayers afford to both pay the $$ compensation demanded and have many animals left to have a meat industry afterwards? (BTW that's a lot of supporting industries with a death knell as well). As more places are found with this disease, more farmers get on the $$ compensation bandwagon.....at some stage the decision has to be made as to no more $$ compensation, live with the disease as it's become too widespread to contain.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536935 by Rokker
Any hope of stopping it from spreading depends not on the government, but on the conscientiousness and diligence of every single person involved in the movement of animals to follow procedure. Quite possible, but highly improbable, sadly.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
6 years 4 months ago #536939 by muri

Ruth wrote: How do you know he imported it and by what route do you propose?

I don't disbelieve you, since it appears to have started there, but what do you know that the rest of us don't? If, for example, it could be carried in bull semen, I could as easily have inadvertently brought it to my herd.

It has been reported that the farm where all this has begun imported Bull semen from China

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #536940 by Ruth

muri wrote: It has been reported that the farm where all this has begun imported Bull semen from China

Where was that? That smells seriously badly like fake news!
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Ruth.

More
6 years 3 months ago #536941 by Ronney
My understanding is they do not know where it came from, or how. Please, stick with the facts as they are known at this point in time. Right now, a billionaire imported it in semen from China - because that is exactly how this is reading. :evil:

More
6 years 3 months ago #536943 by Stikkibeek
It was reported to be imported with semen. Where the source was I do not know, but i know that LIC tested all bulls they have on file and released a statement that their bulls were clear.
One can start to understand those opposed to free trade, when it allows the importation of anything without adequate screening. This goes for our imported Chinese railway engines also, that were not supposed to have asbestos in them at all.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 3 months ago #536944 by muri

Ronney wrote: My understanding is they do not know where it came from, or how. Please, stick with the facts as they are known at this point in time. Right now, a billionaire imported it in semen from China - because that is exactly how this is reading. :evil:

It could well sound like fake news but I can only repeat what I read and can not verify whether it is true or not. It was some time ago I read this and dont remember the source so you can take it as truth or not. I dont always believe everything I read in the news, and for good reason. Sometimes where there is smoke there is a fire

More
6 years 3 months ago #536945 by Rokker
If the disease was imported with semen it would have been a livestock genetics company that brought it in. The van Leeuwens did not import semen themselves.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronney

More
6 years 3 months ago #536948 by Ronney
And that Rokker, is exactly right. Not any old Tom, Dick or Harry can import semen for anything at all. IF this came into the country via semen it would have come through one of the livestock genetics co.'s, not some billionaire who is outside the law.

There is much information on this available and the following is only a small part of it but a good place to start before scare-mongering.
www.dairynz.co.nz/media/5788095/mycoplas...local-semen-2017.pdf

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
6 years 3 months ago #536950 by Stikkibeek
Semen may according to the article, be low risk, but the fact remains, that if that was the source of infection, it would not have been restricted to just one farm group if it had been a commercial semen company. Semen they import is usually spread over a greater number of farms. This has to be associated with the first dairy group discovery, and the recent finding in Hastings has links to that group.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 3 months ago #536952 by Mudlerk
Six ways that M. bovis can be spread: germ plasm (semen and embryos), feed, live animals, biologicals (veterinary medicine), fomites (machinery and equipment surfaces) and other animals. Rural news, Nov. 21.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds