Phantom pregnancy?

More
6 years 4 months ago #536861 by Rod Brown
Phantom pregnancy? was created by Rod Brown
This heifer is 2+ years old and it looks like she is springing but she has never been to the bull, is this what they call a phantom pregnancy, are her hormones racing, is this common?

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536868 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Phantom pregnancy?
Hmmm - a pregnant virgin! You don't call her "Mary" do you? :whistle:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
6 years 4 months ago #536869 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Phantom pregnancy?
I don't know if cattle have phantom pregnancies or not (I know dogs do, or rather, bitches) but very fat heifers getting up to the age yours is can develop an udder that can be mistaken for springing. I can't tell from your photo how good a condition she is in but this could be the reason for it.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
6 years 4 months ago #536873 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Phantom pregnancy?
I have met pregnant virgins before where owners have sworn black and blue that they have never even seen a male!

Uddering up to that extent while not being pregnant is pretty rare in cattle so I’d be getting her pregnancy tested.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
6 years 4 months ago #536875 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Phantom pregnancy?
I agree, Cowvet. If she's actually springing and starting to bag up, you'll certain know in a couple of weeks or so!

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #536894 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Phantom pregnancy?
Love the Mary, Rokker, funny she was named phantom by my daughter (black patch over one eye). Took cow vets advice and got my vet to do pregnancy test which was negative (not in calf). He was not sure why she looks like she does. Suggested my other stock could be suckling her or my neighbours calves puting their heads through the fence. I guess I will never know, she is off to SFF on Tuesday especially as I know now for sure she is not in calf.

Should probably add she is in real good condition and I guess around 530kgs live weight.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Rod Brown.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536895 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Phantom pregnancy?
Did you or the vet check if she was actually milking, or that's just some other kind of swelling?

More
6 years 4 months ago #536897 by Rod Brown
No! Although that would have interesting. She is normally quite quiet but she did play up in the yard/race a bit so it may have been a little difficult to squeeze her tits.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536898 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Phantom pregnancy?
So she's a R3 empty heifer in good condition. What the hell would I know. It really makes me wonder how much notice people take of what goes on around them when it comes to stock (not you Rob, you asked the question).

Twice I've had people ask if they could run their heifer with my bull. I've agreed but also told them their cow would be highly unlikely to get in calf. They didn't despite one living with my bull for a year. The other was with me for 6 weeks and went home empty as it turned out. Nothing wrong with the bull but a lot wrong with heifers over 2 years old, well fed and never been bred. They were fat and both had beautiful udders! The sad thing was that if they had not been spoilt cows and put in calf at 18months or so, they really would have had beautiful udders and been good milkers whether it had been for milking purposes or rearing their calves.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536899 by Rod Brown
I do take extra good care of my stock and "sort of knew" she couldn't be in calf, but crikey she looked like it, any bulls were two paddocks away and there was never any broken fences although I was overseas in March. I took on board what cow vet said about some farmers swearing black and blue that their animal had never seen a bull. I really wanted her to go to AI but it was " believe it or not" too difficult and on two occasions the technician had no semen. It seems maybe she was/is too fat!

More
6 years 4 months ago #536900 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Phantom pregnancy?
Ronney, I hear what you say about some people not observing their stock. We were asked to run a Jersey house cow with our bull. She calved while with us, owner in Australia on holiday, cow died and we had to hand rear the calf and bury the cow!
Kept the calf as payment, not that sale of calf really paid for the inconvenience!

Hope you get a good price Rod! Unless she goes overfat or maybe tumours on her ovaries causing hormone imbalance?

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds