Pine nut tree seeds

More
6 years 5 months ago #536433 by Hadlo
Pine nut tree seeds was created by Hadlo
Hi all,
I am wanting to grow some pine nut trees (Pinus Pinea) but am struggling to find seeds, does anyone know where I can get these from?
Thanks in advance
Hadlo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sandgrubber
6 years 5 months ago #536455 by sandgrubber
Replied by sandgrubber on topic Pine nut tree seeds
greenleafnurseries.co.nz/?s=Pine+nut&post_type=product

They only sell seedlings, but the price is reasonable.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536568 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Pine nut tree seeds
I’m still waiting for my trees to bear fruit ... have been waiting 7 years at least!!! Maybe bite the bullet and buy a small tree and cut down your waiting time?

I love animals...they're delicious
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadlo

More
6 years 4 months ago #536572 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Pine nut tree seeds
I have many years experience with pine nuts, and this might or might not be off topic, so stop reading now if you are determined to not learn from my experiences :-).
I bought some pine nut seedlings from a very reputable tree nursery about 20 years ago, and planted them on a nice dry, stoney bank above my drive. They grew well, but with a huge amount of side branches and foliage.
About 10 years ago some nuts fell onto the drive, so I prized them open and got out the seeds. Then I tried to open the seeds :-(. The hull is extremely hard, so I put them individually into the vice to crack the shell. The inside was nice when I ate it, so i opened the next one and ate it, and the next, and the next. It took me about 10 minutes to obtain 10 nuts. So I decided that even though they were nice, I would need a very expensive device to crack these things open then separate the nuts from the shell.
Still thinking that i might be able to make a fortune, even if slightly smaller, I tried to harvest the cones before they fell and spilled the nuts onto the ground. I love climbing trees, and climbing these trees was a challenge, so up I went .... only to discover that every cone that was ready to pick was just out of reach. I haven't worked out how to make a long armed pine cone picker. So I've given up on making a small fortune out of pine nuts.
A few years ago we had some cold, wet weather, and some of the bank above the drive caved in. After spending time, effort and money clearing this, I could see that the tree roots had penetrated cracks, grown, and caused the ground to become unstable. So since then I have been wondering whether to leave the tree there. But it had got to a size and weight that it was overloading the bank.
So I thought that I would turn it into firewood and at least make a tiny fortune. The tree fell perfectly and I began to cut it up, as you do when you cut trees down. But there are so many side branches that these had to be taken off. The one hour job became a four hour job :-(. Then I tried to split the logs with my splitting axe, which I had done to half a dozen Chamaecyparis and Cupressus during winter in next to no time. I cannot split this pine nut by hand, so am going to have to hire a motorized firewood splitter :-(.
So my suggestion with Pinus pinea is ....don't unless you have
- a way to collect the cones before they fall
- a way to extract the nut from the cone
- a way to crack the shell without crushing the inside
- a way to extract the inside from the splintered shell
Unless you have all of these, all you will have are piles of dead cones for firewood.
This has been another of my ways to turn a big fortune into a small fortune (or a loss).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mudlerk, Hadlo

More
6 years 4 months ago #536573 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Pine nut tree seeds
Well said LR. better to buy macadamia, they make good shelterbelts, they bare in 5 years if grafted, they are nutritious, they are easier to crack, just use a pair of vice grips. Do not try cracking with a hammer, the ricocheting shells are dangerous. Delicious roasted if they get that far, easy to pick, they drop when ready or you can harvest without climbing the tree (not very safe due to prickly leaves) and every yard should have at least two, provided they grow in your area.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadlo

More
6 years 4 months ago #536705 by Hadlo
Replied by Hadlo on topic Pine nut tree seeds
Thanks LongRidge, yes I realise they are far from easy to extract, I've read plenty about them and they all say the same thing!! And something has to be hard about them to justify their huge prices! Do you have any seeds yourself or half a dozen cones you are willing to part with? Naturally I'll fix you up for the postage and a bit more if you want.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536711 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Pine nut tree seeds
PM your mailing address and how many you want.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds