Calving conundrum

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #536552 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Calving conundrum

Ruth wrote:

Stikkibeek wrote:

Stikkibeek wrote:
Cowvet are you responding to my topic, or to a comment made by another poster? If to mine, I have never heard of a calf a few hours old having milkfever. Please explain.

cowvet wrote: Sorry - my post was in response to Max2 comments..

So in future either quote the poster, or better still try reading the whole thread :S The thread was never about milk fever or infection, it was about a cold calf, still wet from birth, rapidly slipping into hypothermia due to the cold southerly.

I don't know if you have a problem with Cowvet in general, but that seems to be a very curt response! Sometimes people post quickly, with entirely helpful intent and content (not so keen on those whose intent is helpful but they're wrong). While you couldn't see the point of that response, it was clear enough for some of us following the whole thread. You know that we often diverge into other areas, whatever the starting topic.


I would have thought that when you “reply” to a particular post it would slot in under that one do it was obvious who you are replying to!
Now I’m going to have to use the “quote” method of replying so people don’t get their knickers in a twist ;-)

Don’t worry about me Ruth I have Thick skin - but I had a bit of a giggle at the lecture to a vet from Canterbury about cold southerlies and hypothermia .... i just bite my tongue and let it flow right over me ;-)

Personally I think if it’s shivering then it’s “cold” - generally I only tend to call them “hypothermic” when core body temp has dropped (use a thermometer) and their shiver response has gone.
Use a thermometer - feeling ears and mouths is not really tell you much at all.


I love animals...they're delicious
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by cowvet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536553 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Calving conundrum
Sorry folks if my post sent the thread into a different angle, I presumed the body temp issue would apply the same regardless of the animal's weight.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536554 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Calving conundrum

max2 wrote: Sorry folks if my post sent the thread into a different angle, I presumed the body temp issue would apply the same regardless of the animal's weight.......

Don’t apologise - it illustrated the point of cold, shock, hypothermia and prognosis. Temps go up and down for many reasons. It also emphasises the value of a thermometer which is the only way you can assertain an animals temp!


I love animals...they're delicious
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536555 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Calving conundrum
Good morning ladies and gentlemen.
I'm of the belief that posts are both beneficial and permitted if their direction changes. This enables me the poster to consider other ideas, and also to learn new ideas which I can then investigate their veracity.
This post has been very useful. Previously I would not have considered hypothermia after calving to have been a problem for a calf, in the North Island. I've assisted with many calvings in the middle of a swamp, in the wet and rain, in the Waikato. Unless the calf was already dead it was usually the cow that had the problem.
That cattle are very close to death at a body temperature of 35C had not occurred to me, and this knowledge may be very useful for my cattle. So thank you for bringing it up. I've had a poisoned (by a neighbours smoke) donkey who's temperature got down to 32C, which we managed to save. So until now 35C in a cow would not have caused me enough concern.
So everyone .... please do not get upset when your topic gets stolen. When I have replied to 'your' topic it becomes 'our' topic :-). When I want to return it to the original, I only need to say ..."getting back to the original post" :-).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536559 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Calving conundrum

Stikkibeek wrote:

Rokker wrote:
If you're able to carry your A2A2 bull through to this time next year as a 2-year-old you might find more interest in him.


And therein lies the problem. My brother borrowed him (without actually asking me) and had him running for the last few weeks with his own cow who was hard to get in calf via AI, and he hopes to get her back in calf to my bull early and on sell her as a springing milker. Well the idea might have had some merit, but Fergy had been quietly grazing with some steers of similar age and apart from getting a bit stirred up, when neighbours put their heifers next to the paddock he was in, he was biddable and relatively quiet. Brother decided he couldn't run him any longer and today he came back. The bull got very worked up over a pile of dirt inside the access paddock and OH had to shift him from there with the gator. He has a heifer, (which I was contemplating putting AI Ayrshire over but a nice jersey will suffice,) for company but has spent the whole day growling at the steers that he used to be mates with. Shifting him around has certainly upset his placid demeanor. We don't have the facilities to keep him until 2yo so he has to go. Someone else might get the advantage of such a nice bull. I certainly don't want the works option just because some prat messed around saying yes he'd take him and then, pulled out when it was getting too late for him to be of interest to someone else.

Well there goes “the pot calling the kettle black” and sticking to the topic ;-)


I love animals...they're delicious

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536560 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Calving conundrum

cowvet wrote:

Stikkibeek wrote:

Rokker wrote:
If you're able to carry your A2A2 bull through to this time next year as a 2-year-old you might find more interest in him.


And therein lies the problem. My brother borrowed him (without actually asking me) and had him running for the last few weeks with his own cow who was hard to get in calf via AI, and he hopes to get her back in calf to my bull early and on sell her as a springing milker. Well the idea might have had some merit, but Fergy had been quietly grazing with some steers of similar age and apart from getting a bit stirred up, when neighbours put their heifers next to the paddock he was in, he was biddable and relatively quiet. Brother decided he couldn't run him any longer and today he came back. The bull got very worked up over a pile of dirt inside the access paddock and OH had to shift him from there with the gator. He has a heifer, (which I was contemplating putting AI Ayrshire over but a nice jersey will suffice,) for company but has spent the whole day growling at the steers that he used to be mates with. Shifting him around has certainly upset his placid demeanor. We don't have the facilities to keep him until 2yo so he has to go. Someone else might get the advantage of such a nice bull. I certainly don't want the works option just because some prat messed around saying yes he'd take him and then, pulled out when it was getting too late for him to be of interest to someone else.

Well there goes “the pot calling the kettle black” and sticking to the topic ;-)

My kettle has gone really black on the sides and I'd like to return it to a shiny silver. Does anyone have any tips?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536561 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Calving conundrum

max2 wrote: Sorry folks if my post sent the thread into a different angle, I presumed the body temp issue would apply the same regardless of the animal's weight.......

Max2 there is no issue with the comment you made, it is very much in keeping with the topic. No need to apologize.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #536562 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Calving conundrum

Ruth wrote:

My kettle has gone really black on the sides and I'd like to return it to a shiny silver. Does anyone have any tips?



I'll give you 5c


Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Stikkibeek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536563 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Calving conundrum

Ruth wrote:

cowvet wrote:

Stikkibeek wrote:

Rokker wrote:
If you're able to carry your A2A2 bull through to this time next year as a 2-year-old you might find more interest in him.


And therein lies the problem. My brother borrowed him (without actually asking me) and had him running for the last few weeks with his own cow who was hard to get in calf via AI, and he hopes to get her back in calf to my bull early and on sell her as a springing milker. Well the idea might have had some merit, but Fergy had been quietly grazing with some steers of similar age and apart from getting a bit stirred up, when neighbours put their heifers next to the paddock he was in, he was biddable and relatively quiet. Brother decided he couldn't run him any longer and today he came back. The bull got very worked up over a pile of dirt inside the access paddock and OH had to shift him from there with the gator. He has a heifer, (which I was contemplating putting AI Ayrshire over but a nice jersey will suffice,) for company but has spent the whole day growling at the steers that he used to be mates with. Shifting him around has certainly upset his placid demeanor. We don't have the facilities to keep him until 2yo so he has to go. Someone else might get the advantage of such a nice bull. I certainly don't want the works option just because some prat messed around saying yes he'd take him and then, pulled out when it was getting too late for him to be of interest to someone else.

Well there goes “the pot calling the kettle black” and sticking to the topic ;-)

My kettle has gone really black on the sides and I'd like to return it to a shiny silver. Does anyone have any tips?


Coca Cola ??? Probably works on cold calves too - a bit of caffeine and sugar. I love a product with multiple uses ;-)


I love animals...they're delicious

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536564 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Calving conundrum
Multinational companies are evil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536565 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Calving conundrum

cowvet wrote: Well there goes “the pot calling the kettle black” and sticking to the topic ;-)


The topics are very much related. They are half brothers.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536566 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Calving conundrum

Stikkibeek wrote:

cowvet wrote: Well there goes “the pot calling the kettle black” and sticking to the topic ;-)


The topics are very much related. They are half brothers.


Aha - so now the cold calf problem has a genetic link?


I love animals...they're delicious

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536570 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Calving conundrum

cowvet wrote: Aha - so now the cold calf problem has a genetic link?

Good thought! It was probably crossed with an Icelandic. ;)

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536579 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Calving conundrum
Calf is doing well. He had his horn buds done on Friday and growing well on that rich milk. He has a stubborn streak though. When I try to lead him to the cow bail at milking time, he often throws himself on the ground. This is not due to pressure on head or push from behind, as he has had some halter training right from when he was strong enough to stand up by himself. Mind you, his mother took a bit of halter training. She was not taught to lead before becoming a weaner, and had a lot of fight in her. It's how she earned the name "Feisty". Her little boy is now officially, "Guy."
I think he will be a very dark coloured bull as he is a lot darker than his brother "Fergy" was as a baby. I'll get some other photos of him soon.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536605 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Calving conundrum
Sounds like it might have a touch of the ''jersey'' about it. All of mine have turned out stubborn this year.... none of them are helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds