Register

Topic-icon Logging Companies Auckland

• Thank you received: 441
1 year 6 months ago #535662 by Stikkibeek

You could try Morton Timber - Clevedon. I don't think they are a mill any more, but must get their timber from someone, so may have a contact.
The other one is Max Birt Sawmills who do have mills at Drury, Snells Beach and Rangiriri. If they don't do private lots, they may also be able to point you in the right direction

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: FAI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117
1 year 6 months ago #535664 by Ronney

Matt, the reality is that they are worthless! The cost of logging 10 acres of pine, even good quality stuff, will be more than the value of the wood - which is why one of them is attempting to low ball you price wise.

20-30 years ago people were sucked in to believing that planting 10 acres of pine would deal with their retirement, add value to their property etc, etc, etc. It didn't happen. If I lived in Auckland I would very seriously look at going into a temporary firewood business - and no, I am not being sarcastic or funny. Pine burns quickly but well and if you sell it somewhat cheaper than manuka, kanuka or totara, you will have a market for it. We have 10 acres of pine which we are slowly chipping away at because no loggers want to know about it. It's sold 50/50 pine and kanuka, gets rid of the bloody stuff and heats somebody's home at a cheaper rate while we still make a little.

Cheers,
Ronnie

• Thank you received: 1
1 year 6 months ago #535666 by FAI

Ummm..... you are way wrong ronney. Ive been offered 30k in the hand by the first log buyer, when i told him i wouldnt mill them for that little ... but hes trying to offer me about 50 bucks less per ton (minus harvest costs) than the current log prices... one of the loggers who will be doing the work and assesed the block said i should be looking at about 56k (in the hand). Once i hit the first guy up about the 56k price he said he might be able to adjust his figures closer to 40k.

This is why i barely ask questions on forums tho, ask a simple question suddenly someone is telling me my pines pruned a grade timber pines are worthless..lol

Matt.

Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by FAI.

• Thank you received: 198
1 year 6 months ago #535667 by muri

agree with Romney, there are also economies of scale and 4ha is hardly worth their effort. there are something like 200 logging trucks a day at the moment coming out of the area where the new Puhoi to Warkworth road is built so 4ha of land is hardly worth it bringing in decent equipment.
All mine went as firewood and I didnt get anything for them, was just pleased to have them gone, most people wanted to charge ME for getting them out.
Even wood chip mulch is hard to sell these days

1 year 6 months ago #535668 by FAI

I give up...

Is there any hope for humanity.

Matt.

• Thank you received: 412
1 year 6 months ago #535673 by LongRidge

There are many factors in getting value for pine trees. We have a very steep block next to a neighbour who wants to mill his and take his trees out through our steep block and our "no so steep" block. I planted 4 h but the contractor can only find 2.2 h and would have paid us $15000 per hectare if we sold the other 10 h of 20 year olds for $10000 per h to be milled in a couple of years. The neighbour would have been paid $18000 per h for his 6 h if it came through our place, so that a steep downhill hauler was not necessary.
Because our young trees will double in size over the next 5 years, we will get our older trees out then and hope that they do not fall over in the meantime. So the neighbour is going with a steep downhill hauler which is going to cost about $20000. He already has a very good and accessible skid site.
When we milled our first crop in 1995 we were paid by tonnage, which seemed fairer to us, but the price per T was adjusted monthly depending on the market.
At the moment, the Health and Safety laws are a real mine-field. If you employ a contractor, and he does not have the correct certification then has an accident, you may be liable for the costs of that accident. So you have to also consider how much likelihood is there of an accident on your block. One of the guys who did our block in 95 broke his ankle when the skidder lost it's brakes, and very nearly lost his life. So on our land, me not being held responsible for an accident is hugely important.
I suspect that the guy who gave the low quote has more experience and better qualifications than the others. I suspect that whoever you use, the lowest quoter with give you the least hassle and get the job done better.

1 year 6 months ago #535683 by FAI

If anyone is interested, in an answer to the Original Question I posted rather than the off topic speculation (i know i know, forums are like a drift net:P :P ) , Ive just got a contract through from a Logging Operator that has offered me a good deal! $10 more per ton than Mr Lowball and he recons I have 2000 Tons there.

Matt.

• Thank you received: 441
1 year 6 months ago #535699 by Stikkibeek

FAI I think a few people are out of touch with the need for good millable trees. There's a bigger block not far from here which they have just started cutting and they were plantation pines which have not been diligently pruned, but the price sounded good when I heard about it. There's a building boom on, that makes a big difference to "yesterdays" lack of demand for mature pine.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: FAI

• Thank you received: 412
1 year 6 months ago #535708 by LongRidge

Stikkibeek, yes and no :-(. When I replanted our pines I was told to not bother pruning because 20 years ago there was adhesive technology coming that would negate the value of pruning. That is now only partially true. The neighbours pruned and thinned their trees properly and they are $5 to $10 per tonne more valuable than are mine :-(.

1 year 6 months ago #535730 by FAI

Yeah logs are at an all time high and one of the top grades is 170 per ton, two months ago itnwas 153 a ton. Huge demand for logs into China . I find sometimes you get someone who has a mate of a mate who once got tucked by a dodgy logging contractor, As did my inlaws and then they have this perception that because they maybe didnt do their research, everyone else isnt gonna make any money either. Our payout should be close to 50k.. pretty happy with that. My mother in law told us the trees hadnt been pruned enough to be worth anything... lol

Talk to a logging contractor. Pruning and thinning is going to get you max $$. Pruning is going to keep you fron slipping down grades... if the limbs are not over 10cm the you are up there in the good $$ territory. Thinning allows the trees to get bigger fore more tonnage per ha.

Matt.

• Thank you received: 117
1 year 6 months ago #535731 by Ronney

That's a slightly different story to that which you started off with FAI - you started off with figures below $40 per ton and now you're up to $175 per ton. I wish you luck.

Sticki, excuse me but I'm far from being out of touch. Nobody wants the 4ha blocks around here - or too many other places for that matter - as the cost of milling them exceeds their value irrespective of whether they've been pruned or not. Muri has it right, it comes down to economics of scale. I've been around forestry too long to be blind sided by numbers.

1 year 6 months ago #535736 by FAI

Ronney wrote: That's a slightly different story to that which you started off with FAI - you started off with figures below $40 per ton and now you're up to $175 per ton. I wish you luck.

Sticki, excuse me but I'm far from being out of touch. Nobody wants the 4ha blocks around here - or too many other places for that matter - as the cost of milling them exceeds their value irrespective of whether they've been pruned or not. Muri has it right, it comes down to economics of scale. I've been around forestry too long to be blind sided by numbers.

No it isnt, just your interpretation of it is, the $50 bucks less per ton from mr lowball (hoping to tuck me which he would have done had i not did some proper research) was the actual log sale rate - which is not my in the hand price, its minus harvest costs - the first bloke was telling me the log prices for A grade which I have a lot of, was about $120 a ton, but after I started doing some research and going and talking to people who are currently in the industry and a fair idea what they are talking about. I got pointed to the below website with current pricing from a logging contractor milling a neighboring block

Heres the website with current prices. www.nzffa.org.nz/market-report/

Scroll down and see the prices, Theres even examples of returns per HA for same age trees as mine but were thinned mine havent been thinned, just pruned to 6m - net return per HA is $54,868 in the northern king country.

If you already have made your mind up and are not going to be "blindsided by numbers" thats fine.

BTW the company I am having log my pines is currently logging a huge of logs out of Taipa/peria and I see your in fairburn/kaitaia area.

Matt.

• Thank you received: 86
1 year 6 months ago #535751 by max2

We had 13 hect. of pine harvested a couple of years ago. Reading the initial posts I was going to put up Phil's number who manages crews and has a business interest in the logging yard at Wiri which is closer transport $$ wise for logs to go to but its hard for outside companies to get their logs in there ... however it reads to me this situation has been sorted.

Anyhow we spent years and years getting advice from logging contractors which ranged from being told the trees were rubbish to them being excellent plantings. Farms around us were being left a mess so we got to know who the better crews were operating in our area. Having said that, on approaching one crew the quote for the track work was huge and without competition. We organised our own track work quotes which was thousands cheaper and have since been told that first contractor would increase his prices as work commenced... lucky escape.

The wood value changes each month. When Russia and China are able to harvest which is in our winter, NZ pine drops in value substantially. China tended to stock pile at the time we were harvesting and then two months later have nothing. Come our summer and NZ prices would climb again.

Because of our fellow's business interest up in Auckland our logs generally didn't have to travel far, but were also supplied to Max Birt and the crappy stuff to a large pallet company. We had two different teams for our harvest, both managed by our guy. We were paid monthly and I know for a fact that had we used either logging contractor privately, we would not have seen the same $$ return.

However my point being the prices quoted by the different ''experts'' for our trees were miles apart... it certainly pays to shop around.

• Thank you received: 166
1 year 6 months ago #535834 by tonybaker

Interesting comments back and forth! There are plenty of cunning operators out there that will promise anything but until the cash is in your bank, the deal is worthless. I would make absolutely sure that whoever buys the trees can actually pay for them. Recovering a debt in NZ is hardest place in the world to do it, unless you have Mongrel Mob friends!!!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 86
1 year 6 months ago #535848 by max2

We certainly wouldn't re-plant Tony. I felt at the time it was only by chance we were referred to Phil who managed the contractors and that operators are leaving the industry in droves. They have issues with their equipment being interfered with if they stumble across certain green plantings and none of it is cheap to replace/repair.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.