Where to buy fresh water fish for my duck pond?

More
6 years 10 months ago #534161 by traveltree
Hi I want to buy some fresh water fish for my duck pond, but when i searched that in Google all I got is fish meat. Does anybody have some ideas that where I can buy some live fish? Thanks! I am in Wellington.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #534179 by Stikkibeek
You could just use gold fish which would be available in any pet shop, unless you are after some kind of eating fish. For that I think you may need permits, but uncertain about that.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 10 months ago #534185 by Furball
This place www.goldfishfarm.co.nz/ seems to be close to you in Wellington, traveltree. Note that it's illegal to move Koi carp around or put them in your ponds, but goldfish are fine.

Though, if you want fish in your pond have you considered making it eel-friendly? Once you have them, you can train them to come to food, and they apparently become quite friendly. A lady in the South island used to feed them blancmange by hand from a silver spoon!

More
6 years 10 months ago #534193 by LongRidge
Eels will possibly arrive by themselves :-) ... and eat the fish that you have stocked the pond with. The other problem with eels is that they eat ducklings. Mind you, if you want to keep ducklings alive they need to be housed for a couple of weeks. Otherwise the duck will take them for a paddle, which makes them cold and susceptible to infections :-(.

More
6 years 10 months ago #534194 by Rokker

LongRidge wrote: . . . if you want to keep ducklings alive they need to be housed for a couple of weeks. Otherwise the duck will take them for a paddle, which makes them cold and susceptible to infections :-(.

Quite likely true, LR. But, having said that, we have ducks in our waterways that breed every year and most of the ducklings survive without any human intervention. Mum and babies are fun to watch waddling around the paddocks amongst the cattle. I think they know that no hunters are welcome here!

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds