How to breed Hyline Chickens?

More
6 years 10 months ago #534094 by traveltree
I can only find hens on trademe for Hyline chickens. Does anyone know where can I find a male Hyline? So I can hatch them. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #534095 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic How to breed Hyline Chickens?
Hyline Browns are a commercial hybrid-only pullet chicks are sold by the franchised company who breeds them (Golden Coast Commercial in New Plymouth)
They are the result of crossing several different strains. Occasionally a cockerel is mis sexed at the hatchery and will appear in a batch of pullet chicks. The males are predominantly white with a few brown feathers whereas the pullets are predominantly brown with a few white feathers. They are sexed at day old by the colour of their fluff. Mainly brown/ginger are pullets, yellow are cockerels.

Even if you breed males to females you will not get a true Hyline and they can never be called as such.
If you mate your Hyline pullets to another light breed-like a New Hampshire or a Leghorn cockerel you may get chicks which are pretty good layers-but it will depend on the cockerels genetics and how good a layer his line is-they could also be quite variable.
Using a heavier breed like a Rhode Island Red will ensure the offspring lay brown eggs-but they will not be as good a layer.

The commercial hybrids like Hylines and Shavers have years and years of careful selection for all sorts of traits like egg numbers, egg quality , lack of broodiness, low mortality, shell strength etc and their breeding is protected by a franchise whereby the Company pays royalties for every chick sold back to the Developing company-to further research.
The parent lines males and females used are totally different so the actual bird cannot be repeated by the casual-back yard breeder!

Hyline Grandparents are imported into NZ annually as fertile eggs and bred under strict quarantine conditions.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
The following user(s) said Thank You: traveltree

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds