Water well drilling in Canterbury

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532277 by CHCH-NINJA
Hello.

Have just purchased a 10 acre block and need to put down a well. Looking to hear recommendations based on your experiences (and costs) for a water well provider in the Selwyn area (Canterbury).

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532278 by Stikkibeek
The way water is controlled in the Christchurch district, I think you will need to find out first if you can put down a well. Did you check all this stuff with your lawyer before you bought the land, or did it come with a right to drill?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532279 by CHCH-NINJA
Yes, everything is fine to drill etc :)

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532327 by Kiwi Tussock
Youtube has a lot of ideas on how to drill your own bore. May take some time and effort but its not gonna cost mega bucks like the parasites at Council demand.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532362 by cowvet
Smiths well drilling - Leeston based
McMillans well drilling - based in Southbridge

I love animals...they're delicious
The following user(s) said Thank You: CHCH-NINJA

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532395 by CHCH-NINJA
NIce, thank you. I'm between Lincoln and Tai Tapu so i'll get an estimate from them both. Water seems to be about 30m (thereabouts) in the area so hopefully not too expensive getting down.

Thanks again.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532401 by tonybaker
Go for a deep well pump at that depth. Be careful not to bump the power cable when you lower it into the hole. Galvanised pipe is best rather than alkathene. Don't use the deep well pump to supply water to the house, it will burn out with the constant on off cycles, rather pump into a storage tank and use a smaller pump to provide domestic water. Have the deep well pump on a timer to come on at night to fill tank.
Most of this you can do yourself.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: CHCH-NINJA

More
6 years 11 months ago #533566 by Aquila
You can't say that everyone else's well is 30 meters so mine will be too. We drilled on one site, Got nothing in 50 meters. Got an old divining expert out from Ashburton, He walked 7 meters from the bore and said there was 125 year old crystal clear water at 6.5 meters. Guess what, He was right

More
6 years 11 months ago #533572 by Rokker

Aquila wrote: You can't say that everyone else's well is 30 meters so mine will be too. We drilled on one site, Got nothing in 50 meters. Got an old divining expert out from Ashburton, He walked 7 meters from the bore and said there was 125 year old crystal clear water at 6.5 meters. Guess what, He was right

How did he date it?

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
6 years 11 months ago #533573 by Stikkibeek

Rokker wrote: How did he date it?

He asked it out.....

right.

It said yes! :whistle:

More
6 years 11 months ago #533576 by Rokker
Damn! I knew I should have been more specific! Let me re-phrase the question . . .

By what method did the water diviner ascertain the chronological age of the dihydrogen monoxide that you assert he accurately determined to be 125 years?

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
6 years 11 months ago #533577 by Stikkibeek
:lol:

More
6 years 11 months ago #533591 by Aquila
I think you're missing the point of my post. I'm not sure how he aged it but it was tested as some of the best water in Canterbury and it was right where he said it was. Shame the clients employees made it a hobby to drive over the well head. At $1000 a meter to drill a well guessing isn't a good idea.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533714 by Ferg-HB
Did you do a seismic survey before drilling? Also, given the nature of water tables I'm surprised a) there is such old water so close to the surface and b) that at a distance of 7 metres you are dry at a greater depth...

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #533726 by CHCH-NINJA
Hi.

I have had a drilling company review my site and they just put one in at the section next door at around 25-30m. Based on other bores in the local area that they have drilled and from ECan maps, 30m looks like a realistic estimated depth.

:)
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by CHCH-NINJA. Reason: spelling

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds