need a calf to foster onto mum who just slipped hers.

More
6 years 10 months ago #531955 by Lindseyjane
Our 9yr old, experienced Dexter cow lost her calf last weekend at about 6 weeks early. No sign of why, just one of those things I guess. We are milking her and freezing the colostrum as we have 2 others who are due to have their first calves in 5 weeks time but her supply is the pits. My thought is that as we are only milking her once a day, it's not enough but we don't have the time to do more; previously we have always share milked with a calf and that built up the supply. A long shot I know but would there be anyone in the Nelson are who has a young calf we can borrow - or buy if they don't want it - to try to keep her supply going at least until the others give birth.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #531958 by Cigar
Autumn calving dairy herds would be calving now, your vet will know who they are in your area.

More
6 years 10 months ago #531960 by Lindseyjane
I left a message at the vets - all the herds around here had calves about 6 weeks ago, and really, we need one who is just a few days or at max a couple of weeks old.

More
6 years 10 months ago #531967 by Rokker
6 weeks ago? Mid February to mid March? They must do autumn calving much earlier down your way compared with up here, where the 4 weeks of April is pretty much the norm.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds