Neem Oil for red mites in poultry?

More
7 years 5 months ago #529377 by Lindseyjane
Has anyone tried spraying their hen house with (diluted) Neem Oil? We are doing all the usual things with fairly good success - diatomaceous earth seems to be the best so far - but like most people, we are heartily sick of always fighting the battle and we feel so sorry for the chooks. Does anyone else suffer from bites from these things? (red mites, not chooks!!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #529386 by Sue
Yes, Neem oil will work for Red Mites, plenty of other spray products too-like Miss Muffets revenge, Ripcord and Malathion.

Best to rotate though to prevent building resistance. DE only really works on lice as the mites live in the cracks of the coop, not the bird, so you only might treat the adults, not all the larva and eggs. DE mixed with Flowers of sulphur works much better. Yes the mites can irritate some people but mainly by walking about on the skin and itching!

T

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
7 years 5 months ago #529389 by Deanna
I have suffered from bites, itchey result, little baskets and like you are heartily sick of them. When they get into clothing I put the clothes in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer for 5 days. I have only used smite for the coops and nesting boxes but listening to sue sounds like I need to up the anti. I have some neem oil, so better read up on the use of it. I also am going to get some eprinex from a local diary farmer hopefully to use on the poor chooks. I think some of the issues are working out what you are dealing with, red mits, chicken lice, leg mites, the list goes on. We also have house mites, harmless little things that just walk on you, we got rid of them or appeared to last season by sprinkling 'Smite' on the carpets where they appeared to be an issue. They are back this summer. : o

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
7 years 5 months ago #529429 by Lindseyjane
Thanks Sue. I put the DE on the hen house, in all the cracks, along under the perches where the mites are congregating during the day and it seems to work. Having said that I haven't looked at night to see how many are crawling out from where the dust doesn't get but they then still have to crawl through the dust. I will look for some flowers of sulphur to add to it. Having looked up FOS on a general search, it seems that people are quite divided about it. Is that why Pestene was discontinued, because that's what it contained and it can be used for explosions???
I also carry a can of crawling insect spray with me 2-3 times a week for any tiny spots where the mites are looking like starting again, and that does work too but I guess it could get quite expensive to keep doing that all the time.
I am getting paranoid about the itching now :( although since the house was sprayed and DE'd, I haven't had any new bites. These bites are in places that sandflies/mosquitoes/midges etc could not reach, our own house has been thoroughly done by a good pest control company, there are no bed bugs etc. This year my bites are less than previous years, but the time period has increased. Normally this time of year I get about 12 new ones every day, but fortunately not at present. MUST keep up the hen house spraying.

More
7 years 5 months ago #529430 by Lindseyjane
Hi Deanna. When there is any likelihood of anything on us, we strip off in the laundry, everything gets hot washed and then hung out in the sun for a day and we have a thorough shower. Smite alone doesn't seem to do it for our hen house, but we do use it after a total empty out of flooring and nest boxes.. As I said to Sue, the bites and itching were so bad and so distracting for about 4 or 5 months of each year for the last 3 years that we had the house professionally sprayed as I know we have brought mites in in the past without realising it..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deanna

More
7 years 5 months ago #529431 by tonic

Lindseyjane wrote: Having looked up FOS on a general search, it seems that people are quite divided about it. Is that why Pestene was discontinued, because that's what it contained and it can be used for explosions???

I don't think so, as fos is readily available still. It is used as a feed supplement and used externally to discourage parasites.

More
7 years 5 months ago #529434 by Stikkibeek
Pretty sure i read somewhere that the guy who manufactured Pestene, had retired, but not on sold his trade secret. Mores the pity, it was a good product.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 5 months ago #529438 by Deanna
Thanks, the bites I get weren't fixed by hot washes and showers, maybe water not hot enough, but freezing said clothing did work and what ever these insects are they don't live on the body, the hide in the seams of the clothing. I'm not keen to spray my house inside, but I guess if I was desperate I would. Your right they are a dam distraction.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
7 years 5 months ago #529439 by Sue
Flowers of Sulphur should be available at garden shops, also known as atomic sulphur. Yes it was a component of Pestene but so was Rotenone which is questionable now from a safety point of view, but is a component of a commonly used garden insecticide. Derris dust pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/p...am/rotenone-ext.html .

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds