Homekill question...

More
7 years 5 months ago #527254 by Zobione
Homekill question... was created by Zobione
Hi Im new here, and new to all things farming lifestyle block....We however woke this morning to neighbours having their cow homekilled, this is fine as thats what living off the land is about I get that....However I was a bit disappointed that they neglected to tell us, or move the cow in question elsewhere, as my 2 young heifers were in the paddock right next to it all happening, literally only 2metres away from the slaughter....This has left me with questions, dont get me wrong Im not this do gooder wanna be farmer, I understand farm life and whats involved, but I do also consider my animals welfare, I was saddened to see that they had to see it all, they have been standing at the fence looking over at the mess left behind all day so far (when my partner comes home tonight we will move into another paddock) Ive been down to see them and they werent scattery or anything...is this normal proticol to homekill like that? Are my cows going to be stressed by this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527256 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Homekill question...
You will be more worried about your cattle than they will about what they saw, or rather, what they smelled. Cattle can get a bit worked up over the smell of blood, but they do soon get over it. Back in the days we milked cows, it was not unusual to de-horn the young stock at the cowshed as that was where the de-horning race was, however although the dairy cows bellowed a bit when they came in for milking, (even after everything was hosed down), we didn't get any noticeable drop in milk production, so I doubt it affected them all that much.

You neighbour may have slaughtered their beast where it was grazing, to lesson any risk of stress by moving it away from your cattle, if those were its temporary "friends"

There was a big discussion on these pages some years ago about a homekill taking place next to where children lived on the edge of a town boundary. Perhaps in that case where young children are concerned, some discretion on the part an owner of an animal to be home killed, might warrant some consideration.
Your cattle will be fine. Move them by all means. It will take them away from any lingering associated smell

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zobione

More
7 years 5 months ago #527259 by Zobione
Replied by Zobione on topic Homekill question...
Thank you for your reply....

Yes my children were also a concern for me as my two young boys 6 and 8 woke up to the view also outside our living room window...one not fazed by it at all the older one somewhat unhappy by the sight of it hanging, skinned from a crane, and then gutted etc....I was hoping my concern for my cows was more in my own head than our cows :)
And yes, this was the last cow the neighbours had (have sold property) and it had become a companion to our two cows over the last month...Kinda just wish we had known so I couldve moved ours....I understand the whole not stressing out the cow before homekill (have seen it all at inlaws)...

Again thankyou....

More
7 years 5 months ago #527261 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Homekill question...
If the homekill guy used a gun to drop the animal, then so close to your house is pretty irrisponsible

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 5 months ago #527278 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Homekill question...
We always have ours home killed whilst still in the paddock with their friends, that way they end their lives in a state of calm with no idea of what is happening. The others a a bit startled by the one falling down but just have a sniff then wander off to graze (except our bull who needs to be removed as he goes a bit mental at the smell of blood!). I imagine if you had moved your animals the remaining one would have spent it's last minutes upset and anxious.

I would prefer to have been told if I had kids unused to such things, or sensitive souls (I have one of those), but the neighbour may not have even thought about it as this is a normal farm experience for many. Hopefully the shooting was not close to your house.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527279 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Homekill question...
Why can't you move them?

More
7 years 5 months ago #527291 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Homekill question...
I too do the home-kill with a friend beside it, both chewing on hay. Everything is much calmer that way for everyone, especially as they can see this strange person pointing a stick at them, and the faint odour of dead animal coming from his vehicle :( .
I fully agree with Stickibeek, except ...... Very occassionaly the friend remembers, and when it comes to her turn she may be unco-operative. So don't home-kill your ones for 6 months or so, so they can forget ......f they do remember :( .
Because the cow was on her own, if you had moved yours then it would have upset the cow hugely. But it would have been polite to tell you. Certainly when I am getting animals killed on lease blocks I tell the land owner. But I don't tell the neighbours because they don't have children or cattle.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #527316 by Zobione
Replied by Zobione on topic Homekill question...
Aquila- Im gathering you mean why cant I move my cows on my own?.....I cant as I work from home as an inhome educator so I cant leave the 4 little ones I have in my care for the time it would take for me to move fences and push them through paddocks of recently fertilized grass....If I wasnt working yesterday when it all happend, yes by all means I wouldve battled the horrific weather to move them...:)
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Zobione.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527332 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Homekill question...

Stikkibeek wrote: If the homekill guy used a gun to drop the animal, then so close to your house is pretty irrisponsible

That depends - was the path of the bullet towards the house? (clearly dangerous and irresponsible) , or away from it? (merely inconsiderate, for not letting you know beforehand that a beast was going to be shot).

More
7 years 5 months ago #527341 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Homekill question...
I have had mine done in the herd, put out some hay when they all come up for a meal , bang, they sniff a bit then go back to eating, they don't appear traumatised, or worried by the smell of blood, normally have to keep them away from the home kill truck as they tend to be nosy and get in the way....
I think most animals are more understanding of the cycle of life than we give them credit for.....

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds