How much should we charge?

More
7 years 7 months ago #525176 by Baroque
I have someone wanting to buy 10 lambs from us this season but they they have asked if we can run them on for a few months so that they are bigger when they arrive on their property.

We're ok with this providing we can ask them to take them earlier if we are short of feed [never happened before] or have some other unplanned or unexpected issues crop up which would require us to reduce stock numbers.

Any idea how much we should charge them per week/month for looking after their sheep? They would be vaccinated and drenched and handled along with all the others and would probably be run in the main flock anyway so that they aren't taking up extra paddock space.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #525178 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic How much should we charge?
If it were me, I'd tell the people I would ensure there would be 10 available for them to purchase at the time they want them, and charge them the price they are worth at the time, payable on collection. Far less complicated that way.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 7 months ago #525182 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic How much should we charge?
I was going to say the same as Rokker. Make sure you have 10 available and charge them the market rate at the time they leave the property.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #525183 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic How much should we charge?
Thanks for your input but I really want to know how much to charge them for the grazing now.

I have no idea how much to charge for sheep, I do know how much I would charge for horses.

They want to pay for the lambs when they are ready to go and get us to look after them for a few months and they'd like to know now how much extra this will cost.

They could be here up to six months past their normal leaving time so that's why I'm asking all you experts for advice. :dry:

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Baroque.

More
7 years 7 months ago #525185 by hilldweller
I don't know either but it would be very little (unlike horses).

hilldweller

More
7 years 7 months ago #525186 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic How much should we charge?
$2-2.50 is the commercial rate. Varies a bit on location and how they are fed.
Don't be too soft or you could end up with them for much longer than you want

I love animals...they're delicious

More
7 years 7 months ago #525197 by muri
Replied by muri on topic How much should we charge?
I would be inclined to not carry over 10 lambs after they are ready to go for a number of reasons.
What happens if one dies? Whose loss is it, theirs or yours?
Who pays the vet bills if one gets sick?
There are so many questions around this and sheep are not always the most reliable animals health wise.
I for one, wouldnt be selling sheep on that basis as i can perceive all kinds of difficulties arising
I hold sheep for people once they have bought for a month or until weaning, but certainly not for 6 months

More
7 years 7 months ago #525202 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic How much should we charge?
Calves used to be $1 per day, $7 per week, it might be higher now, but that was the longterm rate which is usually cheaper. Lambs obviously should be less than calves.

More
7 years 7 months ago #525203 by Rokker
We build in a $5.00 per week per head costing into our calf rearing to cover grazing through to yearlings, so cowvet's $2.50 for lambs seems right to me.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 7 months ago #525228 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic How much should we charge?
OTT but I will also vouch for the sell when they are ready theory. I have kept a calf under similar arrangements, emailed the other people to ask them to organise its removal prior to the then upcoming summer, it didn't go and didn't receive a reply. 12 months later the hubby asks me for the cow, wife emails me (from the same email address) to say ''they didn't have to respond'' to my email and then goes on to abuse me.....

Keep it simple and keep it clean.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #525231 by kate28
Replied by kate28 on topic How much should we charge?
I'm with the others, I wouldn't hold them on longer either or else I'd sell for a set price once they are at the stage the people want. If I were the buyer in your situation and one died or a few got sick & didnt look so good in a few months time I would always be left wondering if the seller noticed they were ill early enough or acted soon enough. I would feel a bit peeved & reluctant that I still had to pay for the animal or pay full price when they dont look as good as expected. The other issue could be if you accept payment for the lambs now & it turns to custard, you have no option to on sell them. If you havnt accepted payment & issues arise you can always give notice they need to be collected by 'x' or you will have to sell elsewhere.

We have done an arrangement before where we paid for a couple calves & someone else looked after them along with their couple (all bought at same time, same place) until weaning. We supplied our share of the meal & milk and down the track there was confusion on how the animals had consumed it all much sooner than expected & needed more, the other person had then bought more milk/meal & that led to further confusion on how much we then owed them. Thrown into the mix they had an extra older calf living in with the others as well. We hadnt discussed which specific animals were ours & which were theirs so we were always thinking what say one dies, who takes the loss? Just after we collected our two it turned out one of the others did die. It did all work out in the end & was a really nice gesture for them to do the work & look after them for us but I probably wouldnt do this again due to the confusion & worry. Another example was we sold some lambs when the grass was getting very low, the buyer had a few unfortunate situations come up (including flooding & road closures) pick up got delayed for around 3-4 weeks and in this time the grass was bare. The animals had no feed & we had to give dry feed which was at our expense & they then became an issue of escaping to find food, including our gardens.

We have found over the couple years we have had sheep, often there is a lamb or two that wont grow out as well as the rest but didnt look much different at weaning and we end up keeping them for ourselves & growing on longer than we wouldve liked, for the freezer. Two years ago we got barbers pole & to us one day they looked fine the next they were dropping like flies. There is too much that can go wrong with animals.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by kate28.

More
7 years 7 months ago #525234 by Rokker
Muri, Max2 and Kate have all shown examples of how your arrangement can go horribly wrong. At the very least, if you really need to do it this way, you should take the 10 lambs out of your flock, tag them with an I.D, and run them completely separate from your own, in separate paddocks with a separate account for grazing, feed, vet bills etc specific to those 10 animals. That way at least any problems are isolated to that group only.

More
7 years 7 months ago #525236 by LongRidge
If an animal died on my place, I would not expect that to be a charge against the buyer. If I were selling newly weaned animals and one died within a couple of weeks from disease, then I would refund or replace the animal.
I never hold animals unless I have been paid a deposit of at least 25%.
If you are selling by weight then do not wean them because they will lose weight for a couple of weeks or longer after weaning.

More
7 years 7 months ago #525276 by kindajojo
Yes been burnt like that ....guy ordered 10 ewes, and a ram then asked if I could run them with the ram ....because he didn't want to buy a ram, OK....( way too soft), pick up before April, them May as grazing fell through , then only take 5 .....next month, then the trailer broke...each time the sheep were put into the he yards for the day ....while the excuses continued....in the end, he took two ewes ....all he could pay for....but could I hold the rest till he had some money come through ......NAH, email blocked no further correspondence ....never again....

More
7 years 7 months ago #525291 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic How much should we charge?
Thanks to everyone for your input :)

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds