Woodburner [tick] Firewood [tick] Now all we need is some cold weather!

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521741 by tonybaker
a wet back is very reliable providing it is installed by a good plumber! Only disadvantage is you have to have a vent pipe through the roof.
I leave my cylinder thermostat switched on as the electric heater only operates between 11pm and 7am (ripple control), this way if we can't be bothered to light the fire, we still have hot water. If we do light the fire, then it heats the water above the thermostat setting so power does not turn on. There is a theory that you can get legionnares disease if the water is not heated enough. Never heard of anyone getting it though.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #521750 by spark
Hi,

The NZ building code specifies that a hot water cylinder should be heated to at least 60 degrees C - see page 37:
www.waternz.org.nz/Folder?Action=View%20...tion_amendment_8.pdf

and quoting from page [strike]38[/strike] 48:
"3.5.1 To prevent the growth of Legionella bacteria, solar water heaters must either:
a) have a continuously energised heating element fitted within 55% of the bottom of the water tank (by volume) and a thermostat set to 60°C or higher, or
b) be controlled so that the water above the element is heated to 60°C once a day, and
the element is in the bottom 20% of the water tank (by volume) and no more than 150 mm from the bottom of the tank, or
c) be controlled so that all of the stored water is heated to 60°C or higher, once a week for not less than 1 hour. The temperature must be measured by a probe in the bottom 20% of the water tank (by volume) and no more than 150 mm from the bottom of the water tank. For open loop systems the stored water includes the water in the solar collector and water must be circulated through the collector during the heating period.
"

I am not a plumber, but it seems that if you turn off the electric element and run the fire with wet back on a daily basis to heat the cylinder above 60 C, then you shouldn't have any problems with legionella growing in the cylinder.

Cheers
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by spark. Reason: quoted the wrong page number - duh!

More
8 years 1 week ago #521823 by muri
Climatically feels like woodburner lighting time, I can feel the snow fed temperatures coming up from the south, a rude contrast with last week here in Auckland with temps in the mid 20s. Will be lighting the fire here for sure

More
8 years 1 week ago #521825 by kate

lindee wrote: ........ just need the temperature to drop a bit so we don't have to have all the windows and doors open when we have a fire :woohoo: :lol: :silly:

Just to let you know that I am holding you personally responsible for the drop in temperatures... :evil: :evil:

Web Goddess

More
8 years 1 week ago #521826 by Ruth
We had our first last night. As I said to someone who phoned and was surprised, I like to be able to sit around in my sandalled feet and not have cold toes!

More
8 years 1 week ago #521829 by tonybaker
had ours going last night, stewing up the last of the apples for the freezer...

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
8 years 1 week ago #521831 by lindee

Kate wrote: Just to let you know that I am holding you personally responsible for the drop in temperatures... :evil: :evil:

ooops! :oops: sorry everyone ... :dry:

but we are soooo enjoying the fire: pumpkin soup cooking on the hotplate, chicken cooking in the oven. :lol: :silly:
now, if I move one of the couches out I can get the dining table in the lounge, and I'm sure if I move the other couch and coffee table out I can get our bed in ...... who needs a whole house ???? :woohoo: :P

of course, its still a chilly dash down the hallway to the loo :ohmy:

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. ;)

One Bull Terrier/Greyhound X, one very full-on Huntaway X pup, four assorted felines, [strike]nine[/strike] thirteen assorted hens, two accidental roos, two adorable BaabeeDoll sheep.

More
8 years 1 week ago #521832 by Rokker

lindee wrote: I'm sure if I move the other couch and coffee table out I can get our bed in ...... who needs a whole house ???? :woohoo: :P

Potty under the bed! Problem solved! :lol:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
8 years 1 week ago #521833 by Stikkibeek

lindee wrote:

Birthday soon? Put a heated toilet seat on your wish list! :whistle: :evil:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 6 days ago #522012 by Inger
Still not cold enough for us to light a fire yet. We have put on slippers now though and I wear a shawl in the morning, but it's not really cold in Russell yet. Still raining lots though.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
7 years 11 months ago #522607 by muri
My time to skite my new condor which my neighbour imported and sold to me.
Installed last week and the first fire which was almost too effective

It has an oven as well as being able to use the top for heating water and cooking.
The other thing I bought and would highly recommend is the eco-fan

The heat on the stove makes the fan move and instead of the hot air going up to the ceiling and then coming down, it pushes it out across the room. Tried it for the first time last night and would highly recommend it, after several hours the room felt much hotter than it normally does with the just the wood stove going without the fan.
Definitely very effective

More
7 years 11 months ago #522608 by muri

It has an oven as well as being able to use the top for heating water and cooking.

The heat on the stove makes the fan move and instead of the hot air going up to the ceiling and then coming down, it pushes it out across the room. Tried it for the first time last night and would highly recommend it, after several hours the room felt much hotter than it normally does with the just the wood stove going without the fan.

More
7 years 11 months ago #522609 by muri

Attachments:

More
7 years 11 months ago #522619 by lindee
Ooooooohhh! very nice! :cheer:

Our draughty, old house is finally feeling 'undamp' for the first time since we've been here (2yrs). I love a woodfire. :lol:

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. ;)

One Bull Terrier/Greyhound X, one very full-on Huntaway X pup, four assorted felines, [strike]nine[/strike] thirteen assorted hens, two accidental roos, two adorable BaabeeDoll sheep.

More
7 years 11 months ago #522625 by Leonie
Nice woodstove!!!!! We have a wetback on ours which we light every second or third day, but in winter it's going nearly every night. We are off grid & haven't hooked our power up to the cylinder.
In winter we always have a large pot of water on the top for dishes etc, & the whistling kettle.
When the lounge/dinning room/kitchen get toasty I put the fan on & the whole house heats up in no time!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'REGRET IS A DULL AND RUSTED BLADE'

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds