Woodburner [tick] Firewood [tick] Now all we need is some cold weather!

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521691 by lindee
Woohooo! :woohoo: We have finally got our woodburner installed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only a year later than planned but saving for it took longer than expected and we've got exactly what we wanted. No frozen condensation inside our windows this year! :cheer:
Cooked our cheese toasties in it for lunch today - looking forward to roasts and stews and soups and scones and bread ........ :P ........ just need the temperature to drop a bit so we don't have to have all the windows and doors open when we have a fire :woohoo: :lol: :silly:

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. ;)

One Bull Terrier/Greyhound X, one very full-on Huntaway X pup, four assorted felines, [strike]nine[/strike] thirteen assorted hens, two accidental roos, two adorable BaabeeDoll sheep.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521692 by Stikkibeek
What was wrong with the fireplace you had? Not suitable for an insert fireplace? Are you hooked up to a wetback? We have had our fire on for part of this month at night. last months powerbill was $32 cheaper than previous month. It's all about switching off the electric hot water for the winter.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521693 by lindee
This is what was wrong:

pic from real estate ad

It was ugly! :S So we pulled off the painted brick facade and the wall above it which stuck out into the room quite a bit, in the hope that we could either do an insert fire or have a free-standing one in the existing open fire area, but the brick arch is quite small and the 1927 mortar was crumbling. The woodburner we can cook on and in was much more cost effective than an insert and the work on the chimney. We have repointed the crumbly mortar and it makes a good wood storage area. We wanted a wet back but the h/w cylinder is only about 8 years old and not wetback compatible - we can't afford to replace the cylinder at the moment. So annoying as the cylinder is right behind the new fireplace. Oh well, next savings project. :P

One Bull Terrier/Greyhound X, one very full-on Huntaway X pup, four assorted felines, [strike]nine[/strike] thirteen assorted hens, two accidental roos, two adorable BaabeeDoll sheep.
Attachments:

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521696 by Stikkibeek
See what you mean. Pity you couldn't get your wetback version. Will you be able to retrofit in the future?

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521700 by lindee

Stikkibeek wrote: Will you be able to retrofit in the future?

Yes! thank goodness! :)

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521701 by muri
cant wait to get my new wood burner cooker installed, its a Condor, imported, oven with temperature control, cook top and wood storage underneath.
I would not recommend going wetback for a number of reasons
you only have cheap hot water for half the year.
i know quite a few with wetback systems who have issues of things going wrong and the system not lasting as long as the wood stove
I think a gas caliphont is hard to beat and less things to go wrong. Then you are only heating the water you need. I also think the water is healthier as there is not warm water sitting around in a tank breeding whatever
Looks good Lyndee, but be careful what you wish for ie cold weather

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521704 by Anakei
Congrats!
I love wood burners - but we've only had one fire this year, Still not cold enough. Even though we have a heat pump we have never used it. The wood burner brings out my inner pyromaniac! :evil: :blush:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521705 by kate
I love my woodburner too, I lit it during the week when it was wet and miserable outside. It wasn't actually cold but then the fire makes it more cosy :P It's 23C here today so a fire would make it a little too cosy :ohmy: :ohmy:

Web Goddess

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521710 by Stikkibeek

muri wrote: I think a gas caliphont is hard to beat and less things to go wrong. Then you are only heating the water you need. I also think the water is healthier as there is not warm water sitting around in a tank breeding whatever
r

I seriously doubt anything could grow in our hot water when the wood burner is going. The water periodically boils over!

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #521714 by Rokker

Stikkibeek wrote: I seriously doubt anything could grow in our hot water when the wood burner is going. . . . .

So long as your cylinder is set to 60 deg C, no nasties should grow. The woodburner is primarily to heat the room - the wet-back provides the bonus of supplementing the power needed to heat the water in the cylinder. While using the woodburner the electric thermostat will not need to switch on the power to maintain the 60 degrees in the tank so often, thereby lowering your power bill. When you're not using the woodburner the water will still be maintained at 60 degrees but will be using power to do so. Granted you'll only save money on hot water for part of the year but then that's better than not at all.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by Rokker. Reason: correcting quote formatting

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521715 by Stikkibeek

Rokker wrote: So long as your cylinder is set to 60 deg C, no nasties should grow. The woodburner is primarily to heat the room - the wet-back provides the bonus of supplementing the power needed to heat the water in the cylinder. While using the woodburner the electric thermostat will not need to switch on the power to maintain the 60 degrees in the tank so often, thereby lowering your power bill. When you're not using the woodburner the water will still be maintained at 60 degrees but will be using power to do so. Granted you'll only save money on hot water for part of the year but then that's better than not at all.

Power is switched off to the cylinder once we start lighting the fire and will stay that way until at least mid October. So, the thermostat cannot switch on and off. Not only less power, but no power for hot water. Be interesting to see what next months power will be with no hot water electrics component at all.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521716 by lindee

muri wrote: cant wait to get my new wood burner cooker installed, its a Condor, imported, oven with temperature control, cook top and wood storage underneath.

ooooooooooooooooooooooh! wood burner envy! :P
is that your friend/neighbour that imports those Muri? I think it was you mentioned them last year and I would've loved to have got one but they were out of our price range sadly :( So we settled for the Scandia Heat n Cook when Bunnings had a special.

Looks good Lyndee, but be careful what you wish for ie cold weather

I'm a winter person - love fresh sunny winter days and cold sit-by-the-fire nights. :)

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521717 by lindee

Anakei wrote: The wood burner brings out my inner pyromaniac! :evil: :blush:

Ahahahahahaha .... I can so relate to that! :woohoo: Better viewing than telly. ;)

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521718 by hilldweller
Great before and after pics. That brickwork is really lovely, even if only decorative these days.

hilldweller

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #521720 by muri
[quote="lindee" post=521716
is that your friend/neighbour that imports those Muri? I think it was you mentioned them last year and I would've loved to have got one but they were out of our price range sadly :( So we settled for the Scandia Heat n Cook when Bunnings had a special.

Gosh you have a good memory, yes my neighbour imported but I dont see why anyone else couldnt do the same.
I got it at cost which was great, its sitting in the shop of the people she sold the business to for $2000 more than I paid so there is a good mark up on these things

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds