Register

Topic-icon Decent hedge trimmers/ electric chainsaw recommendations please

• Thank you received: 2
3 years 3 months ago #517407 by Castle Peak

My cordless hedge trimmer is on the way out, battery holds about 2 mins of charge now. I'd like to replace it with either a mains hedge trimmer or chainsaw, unless there are any decent recommendations for another cordless.

Have looked at the Ryobi trimmer, recommended by Consumer which gets the same top score as the Stihl which is heavier and $200 more expensive. I have power I can tap into outside the house, but will still need to run long leads for anything mains powered, to get anywhere around the place. I have some hedges which don't have to be Chelsea Garden standard, but I'd also like to use this for heavy trimming of shrubs and bushes. Thinking that being mains powered I would get more done in one hit, otherwise it's stop start waiting for the battery to charge.

Do you have one you'd recommend please? :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 28
3 years 3 months ago #517409 by rider1803

Why not go petrol powered?
That is what we have and it is much more capable of the job that anything else and not too heavy that I cannot use it without ease.
We don't have an expensive brand, just one from the tool shed and it has had a thrashing - especially the long handled chain saw and the hedge trimmer and it is still going strong after 3 years.

Confirmed horse addict.

• Thank you received: 18
3 years 3 months ago #517421 by RaeM1

WE also have brought a petrol hedge trimmer, its quite big, can be a little hard to start, so often use the stuff called Start YA Bastard, and you put that into the sparkplug hole, once we have it going its really great, even our 14 year old grandson can use it, I drive along the hedge with the sideby side, 78 year old hubby is on the back, and away we go, or we have used our big trailer with boards on it, so that most of the bits end up in the trailer.

3 years 3 months ago #517431 by Hawai

We have a petrol powered Oleo Mac hedge trimmer & I can't rate it highly enough. We've had it for many years & it's never once missed a beat. It's never had a service, or even a spark plug change, I just pull it out once a year, tip the old petrol out of the tank, fill 'er up with fresh fuel, pull the cord & away we go. :cheer:

• Thank you received: 21
3 years 3 months ago #517433 by Alan Gilbert

We have an electric hedge trimmer. I can't recommend any particular brand, except to say that if Stihl make one it will be a good one, but I would issue a word of caution about the mains lead.
Make sure that you get the heaviest lead you can, to reduce the voltage drop over a long length of cable. Voltage drop makes the cutter work much harder than it should, and if excessive will damage the motor.
And make sure that the socket you plug it into has an RCD in circuit, to protect you when you inevitably cut through the lead. (If not, use an isolating transformer or get an RCD fitted to the lead itself.)
Electric chainsaws are great, as long as the tree you're felling is near the house. So I sold mine years ago, and kept the petrol Stihl.

• Thank you received: 3
3 years 3 months ago #517435 by Ben_Haze

I would definitely have to recommend getting a petrol one. Also if you can get the extension attachments for it, they are awesome. I have only used the old mans, but it is definitely worth it. it is much more versatile. Although I imagine that the upkeep would be more than the electric ones?

3 years 3 months ago #517441 by Castle Peak

I'm almost convinced to get petrol and have been looking at models.

At first I was 90% electric, but I have a huge attraction to cables, pipes and anything not supposed to be sawn into, and despite having RCD's and all that stuff, hearing OH whinge when I ask him to repair yet another cable I've chopped through, isn't worth it. It reminded me why I switched to the cordless in the first place! :ohmy:

Stihl is going to be too expensive and trying it out this morning, it's very heavy, which makes it feel unwieldy.

So far I like the look of this www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1012002231 and the seller looks pretty good and stands behind his stuff

and this

mikeschainsawshop.co.nz/products/echo-hc1500/

Off to investigate Oleo Mac as I've never heard of that make......

• Thank you received: 45
3 years 3 months ago #517459 by Muz1

I have had an Oleomac chainsaw for around 35 years-excellent.

Last year I purchased a combination hedge trimmer/chainsaw/weedeater/brushcutter from Trade Test. I have had no trouble so far and it seems to have plenty of grunt. I use it mostly for trimming willows to feed the sheep-they can nearly start it for me.

• Thank you received: 133
3 years 3 months ago #517494 by Hawkspur

I will go counter to most of the comments and suggest you seriously consider the battery electric Husqvarna ones. I have been looking at these for possible future purchase when my hedge plants actually grow enough to need trimming, and they look very good.
I was going to just add the attachment for our existing Stihl multi for which we have the pole saw and the line trimmer attachments, and have found very good, but an electric tool with a battery with sufficient capacity, that is lighter, quieter, has less maintenance, and doesn't need petrol and oil mixed up each time would be better hands down.
A local garden contractor uses them and thinks they are great. If they suit someone who is using them all day every day, they would be fine for home or LSB use.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tahunakuaka

• Thank you received: 1
3 years 3 months ago #517618 by keppelk

If you have a cordless tool with a dead battery, I would seriously consider getting the battery pack repacked with new cells. Have done this with a few tools now using www.recell.co.nz . Batteries that come back are better than the originally supplied ones for a fraction of the price of buying new branded packs.

Re chainsaw - if trimming hedges then a hedge trimmer is your weapon of choice. If cutting wood then a chainsaw is the best bet. I have 2 petrol chainsaws and a Bosch electric chainsaw. If your handy to a power outlet the Bosch is brilliant. No starting, no noise when idling. The 2 Stihls are good, but electric is more polite for many jobs.

Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna, Oleo Mac are all quality manufacturers. Any tool carrying these brands should do the work required. Interesting to hear bigger users using the Husqvarna lithium gear. I have to admit that while using my wee Stihl to cut big gorse in a dry summer while standing in knee deep dried dead gorse had me wondering if the lithium Stihl chainsaw would be any good.

I love the description on the TradeMe auction linked "lightweight 5.4kg". Nothing lightweight about hefting 5.4kg above your head, or trying to swing that off a ladder!

Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by keppelk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Castle Peak

3 years 3 months ago #517621 by Castle Peak

keppelk wrote: If you have a cordless tool with a dead battery, I would seriously consider getting the battery pack repacked with new cells. Have done this with a few tools now using www.recell.co.nz . Batteries that come back are better than the originally supplied ones for a fraction of the price of buying new branded packs.

That's an awesome idea thank you. They're no longer offering that service but I will find out if anyone else does.I have several other power tools that I could use this for.

• Thank you received: 133
3 years 3 months ago #517622 by Hawkspur

We had some repacked by a company in Christchurch. I can't tell from your location whether that would be handy for you or not...

• Thank you received: 0
2 years 10 months ago #522681 by topazann

Hawkspur wrote: I will go counter to most of the comments and suggest you seriously consider the battery electric Husqvarna ones. I have been looking at these for possible future purchase when my hedge plants actually grow enough to need trimming, and they look very good.
I was going to just add the attachment for our existing Stihl multi for which we have the pole saw and the line trimmer attachments, and have found very good, but an electric tool with a battery with sufficient capacity, that is lighter, quieter, has less maintenance, and doesn't need petrol and oil mixed up each time would be better hands down.
A local garden contractor uses them and thinks they are great. If they suit someone who is using them all day every day, they would be fine for home or LSB use.

Hursqarna right choise.I had a great experience with one of their chainsaws. Are you considering the gas trimmer? [url=http:// http://http://jonsguide.org/best-4-cycle-weed-eater/ ]Here[/url] is good and budhet models .I used Poilan . Absolutely no starting or running troubles.

• Thank you received: 166
2 years 10 months ago #522694 by tonybaker

I would get your batteries repacked

I think people stress endlessly about different brands of tools. Nearly everything is made in China now, or the parts are, so don't worry about where they are made. The thing to do is to buy from a reputable dealer like Bunnings or Mitre 10 and they will replace things quite readily even when out of warranty. By the way, you can open a trade account at Bunnings and get good discounts on most things. Just say that you are farm and all is sweet.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by tonybaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ult1mat3X

• Thank you received: 0
3 weeks 4 days ago #545866 by Ult1mat3X

This is the setup I would go if using Sthil assuming the stuff was fairly reliable

battery belt $174
AP180 battery $269 178Wh. Capacity 4.2Ah. Weight 1.7kg.
AL500 charger $162 (charges the AP180 in 30mins)

skin $399 for the HLA65 long reach hedge trimmer or $349 for the HSA86 handheld hedger

with this setup Sthil claim you can get 140mins runtime. I want to take that with a large dose of salt so lets half the runtime to 70mins but unless someone is using this exact setup we'll never know.

So you'd need to outlay a grand to get started and that is just the one battery. Add another $269 for another battery.

The belt adds some interest because once you have the adaptor (and you say accidentally cut the cord) you could theoretically shop around for your own batteries and charger if you were fairly handy with soldering etc. But any savings would come down to how much SThil are charging (pardon the pun) for their batteries and chargers as opposed to other sellers. Probably wouldn't be much in it.

So the equation is $1000 for an electric hedger that can be used for anywhere between (70mins and 140mins) as opposed to say around $599 for the dirty smelly noisy Tanaka THT-210S which will go all day as long you don't flood it.

Last Edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by Ult1mat3X.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.