Does anybody know what this bird is?

More
8 years 4 months ago #516578 by 2D

lisaeve wrote: And for spook's clip, just copy the bit that starts ' www.youtub ' and paste, and that will work.

Oh dear, I don't know what you mean. I can't see anything that begins that way and I haven't yet been able to listen to Spook's clip.
Thinking about it, I think it is probably a tui, LongRidge (you don't much like them, do you?]. I think the sound quality is about right, listening to links with tui calls on them, and I don't think it can be a Rosella. If it were something that brightly coloured I think I'd see it when it is in the broken pine, and also I have never seen one rosella by itself, there always seem to be at least a pair.
Hope you folk get to read this, the link seems to have somehow dropped out of "Your Place" but I can still find in in "My Topics". Anybody know why it has dropped out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #516580 by Stikkibeek

2D wrote:

Lisaeve means this bit
spoook's post

This appears in the url line at top of page when you click on Spoook's link.

2D wrote: Hope you folk get to read this, the link seems to have somehow dropped out of "Your Place" but I can still find in in "My Topics". Anybody know why it has dropped out?

Still working for me in "Your place"

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #516604 by Belle Bosse

LongRidge wrote: My first thought would be that boring, as in repetetative rather than hole making, and horrible bird that sounds like a reversing truck. That is, a ....

Tui.

Note to self .... ensure that the chainsaw is working properly.

LongRidge... how could you??
The Tui is one of the more beautiful birds to look at that New Zealand has! Take a closer look as see the iridescent blues, purples and greens in their feathers, off set by that lovely white throat wattle. And its repertoire is really beautiful for a song bird that NZ has so few of!!
The Tui is a wonderful dawn chorus performer and is lovely to listen to of an evening. It really brightens my day to take time out and listen to the Tui's songs.

Note to self... must plant those two Bottlebrush trees and Kowhai seedlings to attract the Tui.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Belle Bosse. Reason: for got the Kowhai the Tui love.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516614 by LongRidge
A tui has found the flowering flax bush outside the lounge window :). He must be keeping it a secret, because he hasn't made a sound. Either that, or he is very clever to know that I don't like the imitation reversing truck :) .

More
8 years 4 months ago #516658 by 2D
[quote="Stikkibeek" post=516467
A less likely possibility is a young tui learning to sing. They can sound a bit like a rusty gate being swung backwards and forwards by an annoying child.

Having listened to the same two notes repeated ad nauseum for several weeks, I can quite agree with that description! Maybe a tui is what we have. I haven't spotted it yet, though.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516665 by Stikkibeek
Young tui don't fly about much. They spend a lot of their time hopping around in a favourite tree.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #559337 by teloma18
We have the 'Oo-cuck' bird here too. My best guess is Eastern Rosella or young tui. It has the tone of a Tui: Clear. But Merlin, the bird id app doesn't recognise it and looking up tui or Eastern Rosella, it doesn't sound like any of them. Our bush is so dense, we can only hear birds not see them. I have an MP3 file but I can't see where you upload it.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #559338 by kate
Try to add the file as an attachment, I've enabled mp3

Web Goddess

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #559340 by kate
recording

Web Goddess
Attachments:

9aa5dcaf5b...ed54c21e

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #559343 by Ruth
Which bird requires identification? The ones in the recording?

More
3 months 1 week ago #559350 by teloma18
Yes, I call it a Chirrup sound, it's a 2 tone one. Thanks

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #559351 by Stikkibeek
Could be a young tui, or depending where you live, a young bellbird learning to sing

Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Stikkibeek.

More
3 months 1 week ago #559352 by Ruth
Kōtare and Tūī, as far as I can hear, with a couple of other odd ones behind.

More
3 months 1 week ago #559354 by teloma18
Thank you. Now I know what the cheep,cheep, cheep ,cheep is. Kôtare. The Chirrup at 24s, 42s and 55s probably a young Tui.. cheers. We're in Auckland South, there are apparently Bellbirds nearby at Hunua, but I've never heard one.

More
3 months 1 week ago #559355 by Ruth
www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz/ has excellent recordings of birds and it's worth listening to anything likely in there.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds