Does anybody know what this bird is?

More
8 years 4 months ago #516465 by 2D
Does anybody know what this bird is? It calls just two notes, C sharp, followed by D sharp. Then a pause, then does it again. I haven't been able to spot it, but it seems to sit in trees, either in the broken pine or in the bush. I hadn't heard it before this spring. I'd love to know what it is. I have looked in the Radio NZ site and in the DOC site but can't find it there. Anybody know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #516467 by Stikkibeek
My first thought would be Shining Cuckoo, because they are about at the moment and they are very hard to spot in a tree.
A less likely possibility is a young tui learning to sing. They can sound a bit like a rusty gate being swung backwards and forwards by an annoying child. They I think would be a lot easier to see.

Minahs and Starlings are capable of mimicking sounds from other birds.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516468 by 2D
Minahs and Starlings are capable of mimicking sounds from other birds.

Yes,that's certainly true - we had one last year which could mimic the sound of our washing machine finishing!

More
8 years 4 months ago #516469 by 2D

Stikkibeek wrote: My first thought would be Shining Cuckoo, because they are about at the moment and they are very hard to spot in a tree.
Well, I have looked at the shining cuckoo entry on www.nzbirds.com/birds/pipiwharauroa.html and it actually doesn't sound like that. The one we have is a definite C sharp, pause, D sharp - and nothing else, no downward glissando.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516471 by spoook
For those of us not musically tuned, are they long notes? I am guessing it could be an Eastern Rosella.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
8 years 4 months ago #516472 by meadowlands
I was going to suggest Rosella also

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #516474 by Ruth
I believe I hear the same bird and have not been able to identify it. I went through the sound files of all the probable candidates on nzbirdsonline.org.nz but still couldn't find it. I've heard it over several years, so I don't think it's a Tui, although it could be - around here they tend to change their song pattern every year.

Actually, thinking about it a little more, my bird has only a semi-tone step between the two notes and the first note is usually broken - dit-dit dee. It's reasonably loud, so I presume a bird of more than minute size.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Ruth.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516475 by 2D

spoook wrote: For those of us not musically tuned, are they long notes? I am guessing it could be an Eastern Rosella.

For those of us not musically attuned, think English cuckoo, played backwards. We have nicknamed it the "oo-cuck". There are two distinct notes, with perhaps a quaver rest in between, and no sliding between them. In musical parlance the notes are detached, but not staccato.

It is quite loud, so I too think it must be a biggish bird.

We have had Eastern Rosella here for a number of years, but I have not heard this call before. I looked the Eastern Rosella up on nzbirdsonline.org.nz and it gives a number of calls, but nothing like ours. However, this site does say that the Eastern Rosella has 25 different calls! But, as I say, we haven't heard this one before this year and have had rosellas flying around for many years now.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #516476 by spoook
Listen to

shut your eyes and concentrate hard at 53 seconds. There is a quick two note call. Normally longer but these are the notes you may be hearing.

Have changed the link, very "in your face" sorry.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by spoook.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516480 by Stikkibeek
Spoook, I'm just getting a 404 error on that link. Can you please try posting the url only as a paste option and I will try it as a search

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 4 months ago #516482 by 2D
Me too.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #516484 by LongRidge
My first thought would be that boring, as in repetetative rather than hole making, and horrible bird that sounds like a reversing truck. That is, a ....

Tui.

Note to self .... ensure that the chainsaw is working properly.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by LongRidge.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516491 by lisaeve
A shining cuckoo is a very distinctive repeated slide between about an F and a C. About a 5th anyway. It's not till about now that we get the slide down at the end.

It sounds like a young tui to me. Either that or you've had some new rosellas move in to the neighbourhood and they've brought a new song with them.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516492 by lisaeve
And for spook's clip, just copy the bit that starts ' www.youtub ' and paste, and that will work.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516497 by Ruth
There are a couple of calls on nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/eastern-rosella in the second sound recording (of captive birds) which sound somewhat similar to what I've heard here. Funny how one can forget things: I believe I probably concluded that a Rosella was the culprit a couple of years ago. What else could it be, after all?

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds