Day old white turkey poults in North Island

More
10 years 7 months ago #35817 by localman
Just got off the phone with a helpful lady at Crozier's in Ashburton - but apparently there are no white turkey breeders in the North Island? (maybe not at the same scale as them).

Hoping someone here will know where I could get a handful of day old turkey poults closer to Hawke's Bay.

thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468629 by Inger
No, I can't guarantee any day old poults, but there certainly are White Turkey breeders in the North Island. You could buy fertile eggs to put under your broody hens. The incubation time is 28 days, but a lot of hens will keep sitting the extra week, until the eggs hatch. Or you can use an incubator. That worked fine for me.

Fertile eggs can be sent by Courier, all over NZ, so you don't have to be limited to your local area. Email me for a list of small flock breeders, who can sell you a limited number of eggs. Courier Post charges $14:70 for boxes up to 5kg, which more than adequate for a setting of eggs.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468634 by muri
There was a person who visited me with white turkeys she bought in Helensville, north of auckland. She bought them on trade me, did you look there? It was a few years ago now possibly

More
10 years 7 months ago #468691 by Inger
If the lady's name is Helen, then they've shifted. I have their new address, if required. There's a closer breeder in South Auckland, who can also help with fertile eggs.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468711 by tonic
are you after standard white turkeys or the comercial ones? i don't know a lot about them but thought you must have meant commercial poults rather than the standard white turkeys?

i am not sure why but i thought that commercial ones were next to impossible to breed so where only produced by croziers etc not by individual breeders.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468802 by mrquail

tonic;471140 wrote: are you after standard white turkeys or the comercial ones? i don't know a lot about them but thought you must have meant commercial poults rather than the standard white turkeys?

i am not sure why but i thought that commercial ones were next to impossible to breed so where only produced by croziers etc not by individual breeders.

not sure if the NZ ones are in the same boat, but the US producers have to AI their Mammoth Whites, because the toms are too big and clumsy to fertilize the ladies. So there are people out there whose job title is Turkey Inseminator....

More
10 years 7 months ago #468808 by tonic
lol! my mother works for livestock improvement for years organised artificial breeding for many dairy farms. when asked what she did would sometimes say she was a semen sales person, or semen organiser etc....

More
10 years 7 months ago #468981 by localman
thanks @ Inger I'll send you my email - I'd be interested in fertilized eggs also.

Just looking for the white plump ones - commercial or not.

thanks for the feedback!

More
10 years 7 months ago #469073 by Inger
Glad to help. :)

If you get set up with a breeding group, let me know and I'll add your phone number to my data base, so I can send referrals to you, if they're are looking for fertile Turkey eggs in your area, sometime in the future.

The size of the bird can be improved with good food. Make sure you feed the poults Meat Bird Crumbles, after an initial period of chick starter crumbles. Meat bird crumbles have a high protein content, which is what you need. If you are able to locate Turkey Crumbles (I know they are on sale in some centres), then use them, as they are made specifically for growing turkey poults.

You can selectively breed from the largest birds each season, which will gradually increase the average size of your flock over time. You certainly need to produce large females, so they can cope with the size of the gobbler. If needs be, you can use a smaller gobbler over your younger turkey hens, if you start finding that the older males are getting too big for them. You don't want to get to the stage of the birds being unable to mate naturally. In my opinion, that's just wrong!

More
1 year 8 months ago #557615 by Pastures New Farm
Hi, I thought I'd try and revive this topic as I'm after some fertile white turkey eggs. I don't suppose anybody on here still know of anybody who might be able to supply some?

Thanks in advance

More
1 year 8 months ago #557618 by Nora
I’m in Canterbury and have turkeys but they haven’t started laying yet.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds