Post and rail - stain/paint/creosote

More
10 years 10 months ago #35210 by Aunty
Good evening,

after any feedback I can get on what you have done. I am swayed towards creosote, but only because that's what we used on another block.

Want a 1 coat does all type of product that's quick to apply and won't break the bank, in addition to obviously lasting well and holing colour.

Have about 500m of post and 3 rail to do.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #461785 by kai
I know there will be great opposition, but I was planning on getting some waste oil to do ours. Probably only about 200 metres, but as it is hardwood my reason for wanting to do it is for looks rather than preservation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #461791 by 4trees
Hi Creosote will last longer holding the colour, longer than any of the present day products. Possibly cost less too. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
10 years 10 months ago #461793 by Gamehunter
I used 50/50 creosote and deisel. Shop around for the creosote.
500 metres is a lot of painting.

More
10 years 10 months ago #461794 by alpac
The best and most efficient way to shorten the lifespan of exterior timber is black or dark stain :rolleyes: It's basic physics:rolleyes:

More
10 years 10 months ago #461795 by Aunty
cheers - was 50/50 too thin or ok?

More
10 years 10 months ago #461799 by Gamehunter

Aunty;463564 wrote: cheers - was 50/50 too thin or ok?

Colour was naturally lighter than 75% creosote but was easy to paint, and the cheapest option.
The darker the rail, the more they absorb heat, warp and split.
Warning, your wifes horses will still eat rails no matter what you paint them with. :(

More
10 years 10 months ago #461800 by muri
Whatever you use, and sump oil in particular will fade very quickly and you really need to do it annually if its the look that you are after
Once its done and you want to climb over the fence or the sheep rub on the fence, you have black woolled sheep and your own clothes stain quite easily. Its ability to impart its colour is not like paint, because of the oil in it, its staining power lasts long enough to have mainly black sheep

More
10 years 10 months ago #461812 by Aquila
Clean oil and oxide for colouring cement as a pigment

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
10 years 10 months ago #461941 by igor
Some of our buildings were painted with a waste oil mix by a previous owner. Years later the black still comes off on hands and clothes. Also the boards are cracked and split to buggery because of the black attracting more heat than would a lighter colour as alpac states above.

More
10 years 10 months ago #461945 by reggit
Made a conscious decision on last place to stay 'au naturelle' as less work long term. Wood looks good when it has silvered, and I didn't want to have to keep redoing it...enough to do on an LSB without creating work (and cost) for yourself [}:)]

Yep Kai, had to comment on the waste oil thing, apart from leaching would be worried about animals chewing/sucking on it...and the heavy metals from waste oil that they would then ingest...and that you would eat if they were for the freezer...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds