Best way to make money off a lifestyle block?

More
10 years 8 months ago #461220 by sky
MRT007 .... Jeeez I bet your ready to throw yourself in the river after that load of shit replies to your inquiry. Don't listen or ask for advice, everyone has their own say and version of what makes or breaks a lifestyle block. Too many self proclaimed experts out there, just do what feels right for you and your family :-)

Canterbury

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #461223 by kindajojo
oh the hypocrisy..........

Posters don't give advise...you pay someone for that........we all just have idea's based on experience ....MRT007 you are therefore free to do with it as you want.

More
10 years 8 months ago #461227 by cowvet
Sky - I would be interested to know what you do for a job and where you derive your income from. Mine is animal product based - so our laws to protect our international reputation for quality and food safety are important to me because I look at the big picture.
We have just seen how quickly a major market can shut its borders over regulations and laws. That's my income in those containers!

I love animals...they're delicious

More
10 years 8 months ago #461233 by max2

Mrt007;462920 wrote: Thanks longridge for your useful post.

I think Sky is saying they sell the rabbits not rabbit meat.

Anyways plans have changed due to the my partner not feeling comfortable with being out in the country while I am working away. So we are looking at a compromise of a 2acre block in a country park subdivision on the edge of town. Over the back fence is the show grounds to run the dogs.
Not my ideal but walking distance to shops and schools with enough space for me and the dogs will be a good fill in for now.

Cheers to everyone for the helpful advice.

good to get that sorted early in the piece and before you had made the financial commitment. It is hard and continuous work as Longridge has said, and it would be a struggle with young children to be able to give 24/7 on your own.
I have a very helpful 15 yo and Other Half and at times I am scratching my head wondering if we made the right decision to move permanently onto our land. Esp. when its wet and muddy like right now.... :(:([;)]

More
10 years 8 months ago #461302 by 3 girls farming
I have heaps of ideas to make money off this place but they all involve intensive work and there would be that time when you would still have to work full time (to pay the bills) but also work full time + on the property to get this started before you could think about leaving work and devoting the time to really making an income.. such a catch 22 situation. I would LOVE to be here full-time but being a solo parent of two with a huge mortgage that isn't going to be a reality... guess I'll just have to be content to enjoy my lifestyle and my animals in the weekends and evenings... would love to see others making money off their lifestyle block...I'm not sure I'd ever be able to earn enough off any property to equal a 'normal' wage... (not legally anyway!!!)

More
10 years 8 months ago #461314 by max2
Does the climate suit saffron for someone? I seem to recall NZ imports a huge amount....

More
10 years 8 months ago #461323 by Aria

swaggie;463028 wrote: Does the climate suit saffron for someone? I seem to recall NZ imports a huge amount....

Yep, identified as a good alternate crop in the Tararua District;

www.tararuadc.govt.nz/default.asp?ID=126

I think all councils should put out similar information. Excellent project.

More
10 years 8 months ago #461357 by max2

Aria;463037 wrote: Yep, identified as a good alternate crop in the Tararua District;

www.tararuadc.govt.nz/default.asp?ID=126

I think all councils should put out similar information. Excellent project.

that is a great idea and would promote working with the land and the climate rather than trying move non existant waterways and the like for crops/stock unsuitable for a district.

Thankyou for that link!

More
10 years 4 months ago #471330 by sky

cowvet;462933 wrote: Sky - I would be interested to know what you do for a job and where you derive your income from. Mine is animal product based - so our laws to protect our international reputation for quality and food safety are important to me because I look at the big picture.
We have just seen how quickly a major market can shut its borders over regulations and laws. That's my income in those containers!

I don't do anything now, I don't need to. I'm a kept woman :-) But I have a great social life amongst rural kiwis who don't care what rules apply and more power to them is my mantra!

Canterbury

More
10 years 4 months ago #471336 by LongRidge
That is a disgracefully selfish concept for the rest of us that want to do it right for the animals, for our friends and neighbours, for our customers, and for our country. Anarchy is fine when it is against immoral concepts and against what is wrong for humanity, but not when it is against most peoples ideas of what is right.

More
10 years 4 months ago #471342 by Van7ter
We do horse agistment and it pays for about half of the mortgage/full value on the land. If you have well fenced paddocks, not too far from residential areas, you could lease them. We earn between $20 - $35 per horse a week. The nice thing is it is up to the leasee to manage their grazing, keep paddock tidy, etc, and its not very much work for us. The only downs are that we have people coming onto the property regularly (which can also be a good thing), and we need to move manure off the property and horse are quite hard on the pasture.

More
10 years 4 months ago #471350 by cowvet

sky;473988 wrote: I don't do anything now, I don't need to. I'm a kept woman :-) But I have a great social life amongst rural kiwis who don't care what rules apply and more power to them is my mantra!

This lifestyle you lead is supported by what sort of job...and is it reliant on an economy that has 2/3 of its GDP that is reliant on animal products?

I don't need to work either. But I do.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
10 years 4 months ago #471382 by KaiapoiKen
Sky, next time you are meditating and contemplating your navel, spare a thought for the rest of us that care for our animals and for humanity generally. You may find an unselfish thought a refreshing experience, but I somehow doubt it.

More
10 years 4 months ago #471420 by smokendark

Mrt007;462607 wrote: Thank you Muri. Good post and you have answered a lot of questions for me. I have had enough experience with Horticulture to know that I don't have green fingers haha.
Ultimately I would like to set up a boarding kennel and cattery and train gun dogs for the international market as this is what I know inside out but don't want to land that on my partner while I still live away from home. I hadn't said this earlier as I didn't want to influence people's answers.

Good on you for asking the questions Mrt007, like your style, these forums are a useful tool for making decesions and gaining information, i rebuild car engines, motorcycles, outboards all done through "reasearching" forums and internet, new nothing about them before, theres an art to weeding out the good info and the bad, which im sure you'll be able to decipher, hense the reason for your post.
It can be frustrating keeping the topic on track.
Im also looking to do the same thing and have learnt a bit more from these post. As an outsider i think your boading kennel and gundog training idea is fantastic, stick with your passion, stick with what you know and dabble in the rest!! Good luck with your future..
:)

More
10 years 4 months ago #471432 by belinda_h
Best way to make money from a LSB? Win Lotto.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds