Fixing a concrete water trough?

More
10 years 11 months ago #35054 by Anne
I'm sure there has been a discussion, I just can't find it at the moment.

Any straight forward, easy to do, fixes for a crack in a concrete water trough?

I went to replace the valve for a higher pressure one and realised that the puddle of water is not just from the horses playing in it - there's a definite crack with water seeping out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460395 by katieb
there was a thread on fixing a concrete tank a little while ago

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 11 months ago #460397 by Aquila
Placemakers, miter10, get some it aqua kneadit, rub it into the crack (can be wet), let it set and repeat if needed

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
10 years 11 months ago #460404 by spoook
Have read here , might help

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 11 months ago #460409 by Aria
Having tried a number of products, we finally found the one that fixed a concrete water tank - it's called Cemix Penetron - we ordered it via ITM.

www.cemix.co.nz/cemix-penetron-admixture/

More
10 years 11 months ago #460424 by Anne
Thanks very much to everyone. Think I'll try the aqua kneadit - sounds ideal for my situation with a probably wet surface and crack which is wide at the surface. I can clean the surface and some of the concrete away with a wire brush.

Will let everyone know how successful I am[;)].

More
10 years 10 months ago #461172 by katieb
Our main water tank was down this morning indicating a leak somewhere on the property.... not unusual.... OH turned off farm water so it could fill up then I was walking past my car & heard water running like a tap left on.... house tank has a hole!!!!

off to town now to get something to fill it... tap that goes to that tank is off for now... holes on the join near top, tank is about my shoulder height so plenty of water left until hole is sorted :)

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 10 months ago #461208 by Gamehunter
I have fixed some major cracks in water troughs.
Drain trough then chip old concrete out of crack with cold chisle or small axe perhaps. Wear goggles. Wire brush area along crack and when touch dry use GORILLA GRIP GLUE, working it into crack and making sure it's well stuck. (with finger)
Fill trough only when hard. One or two days.
Below is one I repaired 5yrs ago.

File Attachment:

More
10 years 10 months ago #461269 by Anne
I got some aqua kneadit and tried a little bit out. I'm really impressed. It was cold and dark. Trough concrete was damp. I couldn't find my wire brush. Trough had NO prepration. I put the tube of knead it in my pocket to warm it while I was feeding and doing other chores. It was easy to get in place, stuck well and is still there - even if it has only been days!

I've emptied the trough tonight (stock are now out of the paddock) and will do a decent job tomorrow in day light and hopefully warmth.

More
10 years 10 months ago #461278 by Aquila
The knead it, being epoxy will be tougher than the rest of the concrete

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
10 years 10 months ago #461365 by Marnochmore
Get some epoxy mortar from either Humes (humebond) or Hynds (hyndbond). It's a two part product that is used in drainage applications for filling gaps in and around concrete. Very easy to mix and use.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds