Arghhh! Mice everywhere.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460532 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
our young siamese boy is bringing in 2-3 mice per day

im not seeing much sign of mice outside so he's doing his job, only problem is every now and then one gets away from him and survives inside for a few days (or crawls off somewhere inaccessable and dies [xx(]

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460576 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.

alpac;462144 wrote: And you don't mind them in your food pantry? Enjoy your meals [:0]

everything in my pantry is stored in glass jars..

More
10 years 11 months ago #460579 by Ginnel
Replied by Ginnel on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
Even got the beggars in my car!

"If you see crows then they be rooks, if you see a rook then that be a crow."

More
10 years 10 months ago #460737 by Belle Bosse
I have to chuckle at the stories!

At present we have one mouse running loose in the caravan and another running loose in our shipping container living area... courtesy of our Apprentice Mouser.
Two mouse traps have been set in the container and so far it is the Apprentice who has been caught. The mouse has successfully licked the peanut butter off the traps and not set them off... each morning the Apprentice rushes into check the traps and is careful not to touch them.

Im just glad she hasnt brought in a live rat. A month or so ago she brought a baby rabbit into the caravan overnight and lost it. I took it out of hiding and put it back in the vege garden.

More
10 years 10 months ago #460751 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
I had mice everywhere, especially in the feed shed, but I've just discovered these sticky traps that you just put down where the mice rub and they stick to it as soon as they step on it. got 17 in one night with 2 traps :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
10 years 10 months ago #460752 by The Kats Place
Wahoo Betenoir! well done, where do you get them traps?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 10 months ago #460758 by Gamehunter
Replied by Gamehunter on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
To improve your mouse trap.
The Better Mouse Trap (aligator jaw type) is best set with peanut butter at the back of the tongue and placed between blocks of wood or similar along the sides to stop side on entry. Then place a piece of 25-35mm high wood 10mm from the open end of the trap.
This ensures the mouse is stepping DOWN onto the tongue and can't react when the tongue moves as his bum is in the air.

More
10 years 10 months ago #460812 by betenoir
Kats I got mine from the indian veggie shop near the whare whare in Te awamutu. :D Never seen them before but they are great and also quite entertaining in a macabre way[:0]

More
10 years 10 months ago #460835 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
had a fiend in a flat once, the ceiling space was alive with mice.. they set traps using liquirce ( sp ?) all sorts.. every day they were catching 10 or so.. never seemed to make a difference to the overall population, but made for a sick sort of entertainment, as you would sit in the lounge and listen to the traps going off..

More
10 years 10 months ago #460849 by alpac
Replied by alpac on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
The worst scenario is neighbours who do nothing to eliminate mice and rats.

More
10 years 10 months ago #460854 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
Glueboard traps for rodents can only be used by commercial pest controllers. To sell them for private use, and to use them privately is illegal. They have be judged inhumane and are being phased out since 2010 and as of 2014 will be illegal for commercial pest controllers as well.
www.biosecurity.govt.nz/regs/animal-welf...stds/traps#glueboard

More
10 years 10 months ago #460897 by betenoir
Thats an interesting link hawkspur. I just wonder how its going to be policed.If I buy a glue trap to catch cockroaches that is sold legally as an insect trap and accidentally catch a mouse or 2 ??

More
10 years 10 months ago #460913 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
I don't know whether the glueboards used for cockroaches are sufficiently sticky to catch mice. I use the hanging fly strips myself, but have never considered using one for cockroaches, as I have never had them.
I would not use them where they might catch anything other than insects, especially after reading this:
www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/facts/glue_boards.html
If they are going to be completely illegal, that will make the policing simpler surely?

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds