Arghhh! Mice everywhere.

More
10 years 11 months ago #35052 by Gracelands
Boy, the mice are really coming out of the woodwork (literally) this autumn. The cats are bringing in at least 2 a night - mostly dead, thank goodness - and it feels like every time I open a cupboard, I find more evidence of the little blighters.

To cap it off, I've just put one through the washing machine, on a hot cycle! Emptying the machine after a load of towels, and there was a damp-looking mouse running around the bottom of the bowl. He hitched a ride on a towel I was lifting out, and then scarpered under the dryer, so I've put a trap there to finish him off. Must have been one heck of a ride for him though.

I know its the season for it, but there seems to be a lot more than usual this year. Maybe something to do with the drought, and good breeding conditions?

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460377 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
My opinion is that if a mouse can survive a towel-washing in a washing machine, water conservation has gone far too far!

I know someone who accidentally washed her kitten. That story did not end positively for either cat or owner.

• Akzle
10 years 11 months ago #460378 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
shot a mouse and a rat, and had a spare foot in a trap this morning. 2 mice trapped last week.
Rats not so bad, they dont come inside. Mice are evil and smell.
Also ants, even in sealed tupperware!
Tis the season!

More
10 years 11 months ago #460381 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
I had a mouse who set up house in my printer paper tray. I kid you not! Each day mouse wee and poo on the paper. Set a trap and got the little blighter.

Next couple of days - I'm printing something and out of the slit from which the paper emerges - a mouse face appears! A second one setting up in the same place .. who'd have imagined it [}:)].

Unhooked the printer - took it outside, opened it up and off went that one!!

More
10 years 11 months ago #460386 by helen55
Replied by helen55 on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
I found mouse poo on the kitchen benchtop tonight - yucko! I don't like killing anything but I've put a mouse trap in the kitchen - hoping it does its job asap.

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
10 years 11 months ago #460411 by Panda
Replied by Panda on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
I found a mouse poo in the fridge a couple of days ago!!! What the....? I can only imagine (and hope) that it came off the bottom (pardon the pun) of something I put in there. Whatever next?

Murphy the dog. 4 chooks: Mocha, Otis, Betty and Suzi.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460416 by alpac
Replied by alpac on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
We have mice galore (by the dozens) too, we manage now to catch or poison 19 out of 20 or so before they enter the house.
We left one wee hole open in the laundry and if at all they come through this hole where two traps are waiting :D
None in the kitchen as closing all gaps and holes pays off.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460425 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
We noticed them early this season too. Bait is hard to get in the shops too.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460432 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
ive been baiting woolshed for past 2 weeks & thought all were gone until a mouse jumped out of my calfmeal bag in tackroom today :O

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 11 months ago #460457 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
I think I have seen two this season. The neighbour's six cats must be doing the job well.

More
10 years 10 months ago #460490 by The Kats Place
Three cats doing a great job but also laying poison in the garage and barn. None inside the house so far, apart from dead ones delivered by George.
Last autumn I caught two in the same trap side by side...were they on a dinner date?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 10 months ago #460499 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
ahh came in ths evening & I could just hear one under the fridge eating something.... big fat mouse.... after chasing it out from under fridge, oven & set of drawers for 5 mins it ran outside

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 10 months ago #460509 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
we had hordes in November but not so bad this time of year.. I did see one little one trot across the kitchen floor and pop into the pantry.. cheeky thing.. I don't mind mice and try not to set traps until things get way out of control..
its the rats I cant stand.. and the cats are doing a good job there

More
10 years 10 months ago #460528 by kb
Replied by kb on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.
We were getting them in ceiling of a relatively new house with all the required vent holes. So closed off all the plaster brick vent holes top and bottom with alloy mesh. Where we had weather boards they had the required vent at bottom board so I glued strips of timber up under bottom board which I drilled out first along its length so the vent would still work. Also with alloy joinery around sliding doors can have holes which the mice can get in.

More
10 years 10 months ago #460530 by alpac
Replied by alpac on topic Arghhh! Mice everywhere.

stephclark;462120 wrote: we had hordes in November but not so bad this time of year.. I did see one little one trot across the kitchen floor and pop into the pantry.. cheeky thing.. I don't mind mice and try not to set traps until things get way out of control..
its the rats I cant stand.. and the cats are doing a good job there

And you don't mind them in your food pantry? Enjoy your meals [:0]

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds