A new Member Question - Carrot Weed

More
15 years 3 months ago #16181 by Carlton2000
Hi there people. I have been a lurker for a while and now need to ask a question.

What to do??

We have a property across the road from ours. The paddock directly across the road has been shut up for hay. It has turned white and is absolutely choked with carrot weed.

With every wind gust I say my prayers that millions of seeds are not floating my way, but know they are.

Last year the same paddock had about 20 carrot weed plants. This year it would be in the thousands and its totally out of control.

I have managed to keep my property relatively carrot weed free but so far I have already hand extracted about 10 baby plants.
With the seed floating this year I can only imagine how much myself and the neighbouring farms will be fighting this white plague.

The neighbour refuses to spray but has now realised that the hay paddock is lost. They are talking of just mowing the carrot weed into the ground.

Surely the seed heads are just going to make matters worse for next year???

Any suggestions for them and also how I can keep my property from being invaded.
I guess topping it will concentrate the seed heads to their own property to some extent but in the long run its just going to grow back and probably get worse ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #243822 by spoook
Welcome Carlton2000, we do have a weed "expert" that may be able to assist you, I am sure they will be along soon.
I also notice I have alot more carrot weed than in previous years so will be watching for the response.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
15 years 3 months ago #243824 by Ghilly
Hi Carlton2000, I don't know where you hail from but here in the Franklin district it grows everywhere. It's been invading our paddocks from the next door paddock and is anywhere there is vacant land. All along the railway between the rails and the road, frazzled bits of land here there and everywhere, a lot of it council land. While the local council had a bit of a pamphlet drop to get people to blitz these types of weeds, they didn't seem to worried about their own bits of land which have all sorts of noxious plants on them.

We also have a large paddock next door that is owned by an Asian Consortium. This was left untouched for over a year and was growing wild carrot, thistle, californian thistle and ragwort. It seems people are 'landbanking' and not actually doing anything with the land so it becomes a seed factory for nasties. It might be worth it to phone the local council and see what their stance is on paddocks being left to grow nowt but problem weeds.
There is someone grazing cattle on the paddock next door to us now so it's being kept down but there is ragwort popping up here there and everywhere. One years seeds, seven years weeds so the saying goes.

It took the neighbour quite some time between buying the land and then putting stock on it but the cattle seem to have either trampled or eaten the wild carrot and it doesn't seem to have come back as strong. Last year it was everywhere. I tried to hack it back with a machette before the flower heads went to seed but it was like what painting the great wall of China would be. I'd no sooner whack one lot back then another lot would start flowering.

Do your neighbours plan on grazing anything on this land or are they just holding on to it for a 'rainy day?'.
The trouble is, some people just don't have a clue what is growing and others know and don't care.

Power to you for being vigilant and had weeding what has taken root.

One thing I have learned, it's almost impossible to have a weed free garden. We have dock and cali thistles, plantain and cranes bill, buttercup and biddibiddi springing up everywhere. Pain in the back actually.

The goats seem to keep the wild carrot down a fair bit, whether they eat it or just trample it, I'm not sure but it doesn't last long.

I don't know if it's an annual or a perennial but if it's an annual, hopefully if the flower heads are destroyed before they seeds have time to set, it won't be back for the next season.

Hopefully Tigger will be along to feed us all information on this pest of a weed.

Yakut

More
15 years 3 months ago #243827 by Isla
We treat carrot weed (which here is actually Dropwort Parsley - not sure about other areas) as we do Kikuyu: we live with it and if managed well, it's just another feed in the pasture.

I think you'd have to ask someone who grows good hay how they manage it - what times of the year they spray, how and what with. Many people areound here grow good hay and silage when the weed is up and sprouting in the paddocks around them.

The secret to keeping it under control is to have many hungry stock and not quite enough grass in the early spring, so that you're moving everything around all your paddocks very quickly and the plants are regularly under grazing pressure, giving them no chance to grow big enough to throw up flower stems. Where we haven't applied such pressure, we have white flowers standing now. Outside my window, the House paddock is half clear and half has white flowers: one half was strip grazed by a couple of heifers up to calving, but they didn't get all the way down the paddock before the flower stems came up and since then the flowers have hardened and now won't be eaten.

In a Pasture Quality workshop I did a few years ago, Carrot Weed and its similar relatives, was counted as a herb when young, with good feed value.

More
15 years 3 months ago #243830 by reggit
Hey there, carrot weed is not one I have dealt with. Unfortunately its not one that neighbours are required to control either under regional council rules...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 3 months ago #243869 by LongRidge
What do you mean by carrot weed? It is not a term that I've heard.
Wild carrot and presumably Dropwort Parsely are edible and not harmful.
Yarrow also is edible and provides minerals that some other plants don't.
Hemlock is the really nasty one because it is edible, especially after spraying, and is poisonous.
Find out exactly what you have got, and it's latin name. If it is hemlock, discuss with your local Council what can be done.
Is it or will it become a fire risk?

More
15 years 3 months ago #243881 by Carlton2000
yes its ParsleyDropwort commonly known as Carrot Weed but not to be confused with Wild Carrot (or so I am told)
Highly invasive and taking over where ever possible.
The neighbour has asked the hay man to top it off but hes said no. Does not want it through his machinery and thus infecting other properties.

If it takes hold it strangles the pasture. The base plant is quite wide and smothers grass out completely.
The neighbour won't spray!

I know it can be grazed down and is not harmful to stock but this has got to hay length now and she only has a few stock.

More
15 years 3 months ago #243886 by Carlton2000
Yakut I am North. Its a real problem here with many haycrops being completely lost last year. I have managed to keep it out of my property all but the odd plant that I can handweed but this neighbours property is too far gone. Its almost entirely carrot weed and the large rosettes have choked out the grass.

More
15 years 3 months ago #243901 by sundaysbest
Hey Carlton2000.. I am in Rodney District, not sure how far North you are... but boy oh boy we have a problem this year, I've seen nothing of it for the past 3 seasons, yet this year, it's cropping up in my paddocks.

Not sure what would kill it - I've just run 50 ewes through from my neighbours but they don't seem to touch much of it unfortunately...

Goodluck
Sundays

More
15 years 3 months ago #243925 by Ronney
Hi Carlton and welcome to the site.

Learn to live with it and graze it to it's best advantage. It does have nutritional value and will not strangle the pasture. I run both sheep and cattle and both will eat it in the young stages of growth. However, once the plant begins to mature and form flower heads, neither will look at it which is when the slasher comes out. As Isla commented, we manage it in the same way as we do kykuyu and this year I have very few flower heads showing :)

Tordon will kill it if you want to get that energetic.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
15 years 3 months ago #243989 by viki
Hi,
Im up north also and after the wet winter found we had much more carrot weed than ever. we found that spraying with baton has got it under control. it spreads and smothers the good grass so find it much better to spray.

More
15 years 3 months ago #244145 by Carlton2000
We are in Rodney and have found here too that its strangling out pasture completely on some properties. I donot want to get to the situation of having huge maintenance issues either due to neighbours not wishing to control or spray.

The paddock concerned is completely white and now that the seed heads have completely formed I fear they will be blowing my way.

I have a friend that purchased a neglected property. It was winter when they moved on and when summer came around they realised they had paddocks full of carrot weed. It had completely taken over and when they mowed it down they realised there was virtually no grass at all.

The property was 10 acres of carrot weed. They had to get rid of the stock they had purchased as there was not enough feed for them and sprayed and sprayed. After a year of fighting it to little benefit they sold up.

Its not to be underestimated at all.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528727 by redmann
Just a suggestion, put the carrot weed infested grass into wrapped silage. The silage process will kill the seed. You will have low grade silage as a result (mature plants), but you will have drasticly reduced the seed for next years infestation. I reccomend large or conventional square bales as these are easier to feed out by hand ,than round bales.
If you make hay this is just spreading the seed.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #559481 by Shadyacres
Hiya, there is a extra additive you can mix with Glyphosate which is incredibly effective, best sprayed early spring as the plant emerges and gets its half dozen leaves a few inches long, nail it then and you'll be winning, (in a active growth stage),
Sorry cant remember exact name -'hylopsyphlop' or what ever, 
But google 'Rainbow and Brown' at Rotorua, they are very helpful and dont belittle your questions. And well priced with a huge range of 'Rural additives'. 
Can be expensive per acre to get a contractor into spray but so worth it if you hate seeing white Ugliness across your paddocks and you dont have the time or gear or experience.
 Cattle and sheep will eat flowers when stalks are still green and soft which helps but about early december my stock wont touch it any more.
Best not ignored as it will plague your property, topping helps to eliminate seed heads maturing but seeds in the ground  persistent for years as with dock  ragwort etc.
Dont count on wrapping silage  bale's killing seeds either, imo. 
If you get a contractor in  Id be temped to get a wide strip on your neighbours side done too , write it off as an 'Educational Expense', and maybe they will learn from you and see how effective it is and youll benefit in the future,
pay it forward type thing. 
Good luck, Dont let it beat you down. 

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #559483 by tonybaker
found this on Google, you probably want to spray it before they ban Roundup! It 's interesting that they say to spray on small weeds as I always thought that the more surface area you had the better the spray worked?Glyphosate Additives and AdjuvantsIn addition to the amount of glyphosate acid, be sure to read the product label to determine if the addition of a surfactant is necessary.  Many glyphosate products come “fully loaded,” meaning they are formulated to include a surfactant.  Some glyphosate products contain no surfactant or may require additional surfactant to increase activity.  A non-ionic surfactant (NIS), at a rate of 0.25 percent to 1.0 percent (1 quart to 1 gallon per 100 gallons of spray solution), should be used for glyphosate products which require the addition of a surfactant.  Crop oil concentrates (COC) or methylated seed oils (MSO) are not recommended for use with glyphosate.  Previous research has indicated a reduction in weed control with glyphosate when using COC or MSO instead of NIS.  When tank-mixing glyphosate with other herbicides or crop protection products, always check the labels to determine if additional adjuvants are required. Adding ammonium sulfate (AMS) to the water in the spray tank before adding glyphosate will act as a water conditioner and improve weed control, regardless of whether or not a surfactant is needed.  The sulfate component of AMS (SO4-) is negatively charged and will bind to positively charged hard water ions such as calcium (Ca2+), magnesium (Mg2+), and iron (Fe2+), preventing the hard water ions from binding to the glyphosate molecule and decreasing its activity in the plant.  Therefore, adding AMS to the spray solution after adding the glyphosate will do little to improve the herbicide’s activity.  Dry, spray-grade AMS should be added at a rate of 8.5 pounds to 17 pounds of AMS per 100 gallons of spray solution.  Dry and liquid AMS replacement products are available, but when using them be sure to add them at a rate equal to 8.5 pounds to 17 pounds of AMS per 100 gallons of spray solution.  Other nitrogen fertilizers, such as 28 percent urea ammonium nitrate (UAN), do not have the same water conditioning effects as AMS.Glyphosate Application TimingLike most herbicides, glyphosate will provide maximum activity on weeds when applied to small weeds.  Generally, weeds should be 4 inches or less in height at the time of application.  If the weeds are taller than 4 inches, do not expect to achieve satisfactory weed control with glyphosate alone.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds