Selling eggs

More
15 years 11 months ago #181135 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Selling eggs
Our eggs have the date they are laid written on them and the pen number they came from. We sell fertile eggs for hatching, so need to know how old the eggs are.

Our customers are not going to care what the labels are on the egg carton. They know where the eggs come from, they can even come and visit the hens. I'm not going to the expensive of getting labels printed. We don't make enough money on the eggs to do more than cover the cost of the hens' feed, let alone labels and packaging.

I can understand the need if the eggs are being sold at a Farmers' Market, but the few cartons we sell per week to the locals, just doesn't warrant the trouble. We only sell the eggs so they don't go to waste. Our main aim is to sell fertile eggs and rare breed pullets and roosters, not marketing eggs.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #181141 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Selling eggs
Seaside,to answer one of your questions, yes commercial layers are usually vaccinated against salmonella, at day old, at the hatchery.

Inger, just a simple scribbling out of the previous label or a white sticky label you write on would suffice-so no need for the expense of printed labels.

Ok, you've got your customers educated but I was just pointing out the pit falls to the unsuspecting and those going into selling eggs for the first time-and warning that there could be someone reporting those that do not comply with food safety and wrongful advertising!

Yes, eggs can get contaminated after they are laid and been collected from the nest. The floating is because the air cell has enlarged as the egg ages, but the air in there could also be gas from bacteria, though this is less likely.

Seaside,UK has had problems with Salmonella Enteritidis in the past, which was egg transmitted, hence the need for thorough cooking and not using raw eggs in food. I think they probably vaccinate in UK now as well.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
15 years 11 months ago #181153 by cantyguy
Replied by cantyguy on topic Selling eggs
Of course you could spend 30c and use new cartons or trays. It just means you have to buy in bulk normally around 150 per pack.

As poultry farmers we spend quite large sums of money for audits that ensure we comply with food safety standards. You can bet if I find eggs recycled in my packets I will be complaining. I'm very proud of my eggs which are certified organic, free range and SPCA approved. With the organic & SPCA logo on my packets I don't want other peoples eggs being sold in my packaging for the very reasons Sue points out.

Its around 30deg here today in Canterbury and just along the road from me is a lady advertising 100% free range eggs with the eggs in a stand on the side of the road in recycled packets from various producers.

As far as washing goes it is impossible for commercial producers such as myself to produce 100% clean eggs no matter how hard we try.
I wash my eggs in a small egg washer approved by the FSA using egg wash powder that is also approved. The trick is to ensure the water is warmer than the egg with 42deg being the recommended temperature.

A good trick to stop your chooks dirtying the eggs from dirty feet is to have a small tray outside the nest box with lime in it. They have to stand in the lime to enter the nest and so any mud etc is covered by the lime.

More
15 years 11 months ago #181215 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Selling eggs
Thanks Cantyguy, for speaking up about one of the points I was tryingto make-see Inger it does affect people, even those here on LSB!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #559440 by zdaky
Replied by zdaky on topic Selling eggs
Hi I'm thinking
about starting my own egg selling business and I want to have more than 99 chickens. Around 200-400 chickens and I was wondering if I already have a RMD, what egg retails can I sell them to and how do I fet in contact with them. Also do you know how much they'll pay for my eggs.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #559441 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Selling eggs
i think you have to read the original post, ok it was 15 years ago but I bet it has not got any easier! Also look at this article

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #559444 by zdaky
Replied by zdaky on topic Selling eggs
I have llooked at the website and it seems like some I can manage besides I'll have friends and family joining in to help and organize things with me.

But still I would like to know what retailers would buy your eggs and for how much a dozen.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds