Selling eggs

More
15 years 11 months ago #180985 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Selling eggs
How on earth are we supposed to get the printed ink out of the egg cartons? Its just stupid. The few people who buy our eggs know the cartons are pre-used. They even recycle their old ones back to us, so we can refill them. The Government is crazy if it thinks we're going to cover up or remove old labels from egg cartons before refilling them for our customers! Bah Humbug I say.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #180992 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Selling eggs

Pumpkingirl;152589 wrote: To find out if your eggs are fresh or old, you can use the float technique.. if they float they're old and possibly off, if they sink they're fresh, if they sink but go large end up, they're older but still ok to eat. It's because egg shells are porous and the older an egg is, the more air it absorbs, making it float.

So... if it sinks, it's good, but you can't sell it because it got wet and the protective layer would have been damaged. Sort of like witches really.

Regarding the egg-box labels- I expect that rule is present to prevent persons passing off the contents of an egg box as being from the company marked on the label. Can someone post the actual text of the rule (or a link)? Perhaps the rule allows you to obscure the label (perhaps by striking through it with a Sharpie) if it cannot be removed.

A

More
15 years 11 months ago #180993 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Selling eggs
How about buying farm unpasteurised milk in recycled,branded milk bottles, or home killed meat wrapped up in a tray that had Angus Pure (sorry Isla) written on it?

They are just trying to protect the consumer Inger, there are enough of them out there, consumers that is, to demand that controls are put on where their food comes from!

I'm only repeating what is fact and already in place, and just warning some folks what is mandatory. As for getting the ink out, a sticker is all that would be needed!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
15 years 11 months ago #180998 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Selling eggs
I think it is fair enough that old labels be covered or at least crossed out.

As far as eggs go, I thought there had been a move sometime ago to make even picking up eggs for sale a 'processing' operation but the resulting hue and cry meant that it was never put in place. The rule for food baked/prepared for sale does require a licenced premises (through council) for this operation, but things like fruit and veges and (presumably) eggs into boxes don't count as preparation under the council rules as far as I know...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 11 months ago #181002 by Giddyup
Replied by Giddyup on topic Selling eggs
God, you know this world is f****kd. Gone are the days of our parents/grandparents. Gone are the days when our children were safe walking to school. Gone are the days when we can have a relatively safe and happy life without being taxed or regulated for even having sexual intercourse (and god help us if we fart during).
Sigh.[:(!]

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
15 years 11 months ago #181003 by Sue
Here is the link to finding out more about RMP's and also anything else about the poultry industry in NZ! www.eggfarmers.org.nz/rmps.asp

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
15 years 11 months ago #181007 by reggit
Giddyup, quick, think happy thoughts! [:0]:o It's only eggs.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 11 months ago #181008 by Giddyup
Replied by Giddyup on topic Selling eggs
Hahahh that made me laugh, thank you :D
God, I'm such a CHEER GERM!

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
15 years 11 months ago #181074 by reggit
www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10498987

'The Food Safety Authority's principal adviser on public health' doesn't even know his stuff and is advising washing under a running tap [:0]

More
15 years 11 months ago #181079 by Sue
Well if you have to wash eggs tigger, because they are so disgustingly s****y. then it is much better under a running tap, than being swirled in a luke warm bacterial soup, or even a very well contaminated damp sponge, rubbing the bugs into the pores!

When I first started in the poultry industry washing was advocated, there were machines which did it, from a small rotating bucket which held a wire basket full of eggs, to huge conveyer type washers. In those days all eggs were washed, regardless of whether they were dirty-how stupid was that!!!
Thankfully we have learned more about the mechanisms of disease transmission and that eggs come with a built in protective film:)

Sue

More
15 years 11 months ago #181080 by Sue
I think the point about this article is about the real risk of salmonella. It is a reasonably common bacteria and there are thousands of species which affect many classes of stock.

Some varities like Salmonella Enteritidis can enter the egg while it is being formed (luckily has so far not been found in NZ eggs) and others, like Salmonella Typhimurium, contaminate the shell, having come from faecal dirt from carrier birds or sick birds which sleep in the nests!

E.Coli, which has also been mentioned in the news recently as a cause of food poisoning, from sources such as meat and vegetables as well, would be a contaminant of dirty egg shells. E.Coli is a faecal bacteria of any animal or bird.

Sue

More
15 years 11 months ago #181081 by reggit
What I don't understand about the article Sue...they found salmonella on supermarket eggs, but I have never seen a supermarket egg with obvious faecal contamination, so there would be no red flag for Joe Bloggs to know when they need to clean it anyway!

I would have thought the real risk would be from salmonella on shells transferring to hands and subsequently being ingested that way, rather than any other way? - if so, why not a message of washing hands immediately after handling eggs in shells/egg shells?

I know what you mean about the seriousness of this disease and other food-bourne ones, I spent time as an EHO (previously known as health inspector) and one of my runs (no pun intended [}:)]) was tracing back these sorts of outbreaks, as well as sample runs for the poor souls who got sick and advising them of do's and don'ts as far as food prep and their own personal hygiene went. Not nice [xx(]

More
15 years 11 months ago #181093 by Sue
Be careful how you read the article tigger! It says retail cartons and trays-you intrepreted it as 'supermarket' they could just as easily be from dairies, butchers or farmers market stalls!

Actually, when you think of where an egg comes from, it's not suprising the shell is contaminated with gut living bacteria-and almost invisible sometimes.

You are quite correct in mentioning the hand washing-especially after touching something that has come out of an animal/birds bum;)

Sue

More
15 years 11 months ago #181128 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Selling eggs
About this floating egg test....

Does anyone know whether it indicates bacterial contamination AND age, or just age. My logic suggests that if an egg is contaminated within a day or two of being laid, it won't float but it could still make you sick. I mention this because I found a stray nest belonging to our hens once, checked all the eggs for floatiness (they were fine), and my husband swears he got sick from a hard-boiled one. Or does the gas given off from the bacteria multiplying make it float.

And what about salmonella? When I wrote news for a food hygiene newsletter in the UK, the Food Standards Agency was forever saying eggs should be pasteurised... But I could never get my head around that, because surely a soft boiled or fried egg isn't pasteurised (else the yolk wouldn't be runny). Are commercial flocks vaccinated against salmonella?

Anyway, when I sell eggs at our honesty box (when the blooming chooks are laying), I use a punnet, with a little clean hay on the bottom to stop them rolling around. I bought the punnets to sell chillies and tomatoes, but they can fit 6 eggs in (so I sell for $2 for half a dozen). A box of 400 punnets cost me about 25 cents per punnet, from a packaging manufacturer in ChCh.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
15 years 11 months ago #181134 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Selling eggs

Seaside;152792 wrote: About this floating egg test....

Does anyone know whether it indicates bacterial contamination AND age, or just age. My logic suggests that if an egg is contaminated within a day or two of being laid, it won't float but it could still make you sick.

I think your logic is right Seaside. The reason the egg floats is because the air sack in the egg expands as the egg ages (because air gets sucked in through the pores of the egg shell).

Obviously, if air can get in, so could bacteria, diseases etc. That why it's always wise to eat eggs as soon as they are laid, preferably from a nest box that is cleaned out often.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds