Selling eggs

• Sue
15 years 11 months ago #11680 by Sue
Selling eggs was created by Sue
Further to an enquiry on here last week from a LSB member wanting to set up a Free Range egg enterprise on 5 acres, I have come across a bit of added information which may be of interest to some!

The LSB member in question is busy filling out the RMP forms required (Risk Management Programme) which are managed by the Food Safety Authority to ensure the consumer is getting the best quality product when they are buying-in this case eggs.

The discussion was about the limit on the numbers of birds you can keep, before an RMP was required.

Whilst it is established that if you have 99 or less laying hens (not total poultry) you are exempt from an RMP, as long as you are selling the eggs direct to the consumer yourself. You are not allowed to sell to a retailer or an intermediary that retails them, even if you only have 20 birds.

You cannot sell eggs through a retail outlet unless you have an RMP, regardless of how many layers you have.

Another fact is that if you use second hand egg cartons to sell small quantities of eggs direct to consumers, you must remove the labels.
This applies to both the production type (cage/barn/free range) egg size, branding and origin.

Yes, there are people out there checking on these rules, and following up on complaints!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #180930 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Selling eggs
So farmers markets direct to the public are okay then?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 11 months ago #180932 by Giddyup
Replied by Giddyup on topic Selling eggs
Hi Sue, I found that interesting! I sell free-range eggs to people at work for $5 per dozen. They bring in empty cartons for me and bring them back when they want more. So, according to regulations, I must remove the labels!?
OMG!
What worries me about selling them is any matter I find on the egg. I scrub and scub them to remove anything in case of camplybacter etc... and also the fact that a rotten one might slip in.
Do you have a poultry farm?

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
15 years 11 months ago #180935 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Selling eggs

Giddyup;152573 wrote: I scrub and scub them to remove anything in case of camplybacter etc... and also the fact that a rotten one might slip in.

Not with water I hope Giddyup? The worst thing you can do to compromise an egg health-wise is to wash it. If you are dry-scrubbing, that's ok.

More
15 years 11 months ago #180937 by Giddyup
Shite yes! I have a pot scrub and do them under running water. What does it do to them?![:0]

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
15 years 11 months ago #180939 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Selling eggs
I think it stuffs up their natural protective layer...[:0]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 11 months ago #180947 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Selling eggs
Yep, washing with water is a big no no, it not only washes off the protective layer on the egg but it can also act as a vector allowing bacteria through the pores of the shell. So ironically you are doing the one thing that could make someone sick.

You can wipe it with an almost dry cloth, gently and that's it. Anything else compromises the egg bacteria-wise. You can scrub at them, but don't use water. There are really strict rules about this for commercial poultry people too. My parents were fanatical but I was like you, I liked them all to look nice! I used to get told off all the time. Can you put a deep layer of wood shavings in your nests? This will help stop them getting dirty.

To find out if your eggs are fresh or old, you can use the float technique.. if they float they're old and possibly off, if they sink they're fresh, if they sink but go large end up, they're older but still ok to eat. It's because egg shells are porous and the older an egg is, the more air it absorbs, making it float.

More
15 years 11 months ago #180949 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Selling eggs
To get the poo off our eggs I use a slightly damp cloth, far from wet. Used to use the same thing when I worked on an egg farm back when I was a uni student. (shudder when I think back to those days, and the hell those chickens lived in...)

More
15 years 11 months ago #180950 by Giddyup
Guys! Amazing info, thank you. I will do that from now on. I did know about the floating technique though. Handy, as my old bags save up their eggs until I let them out in the afternoon, then they lay everywhere :(

More
15 years 11 months ago #180951 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Selling eggs
I knew about the egg carton rule - but I wonder how many of us bother to take labels off used cartons...I know several people who sell their eggs and like Giddyup people bring in their empty cartons for refills and often leave spares behind....the egg police are sure going to busy! Just another example of those of us with a little surpluss produce for sale getting regulated to death.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
15 years 11 months ago #180953 by Giddyup
You know something else I thought about doing, is you know those vendor snack thingyees where they sell those big bikkies and chippies etc?
I thought about starting one up with fresh vegies and fruit and eggs...

More
15 years 11 months ago #180960 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Selling eggs
Just to clarify what I wrote, in case anyone got muddled, including me!

You have to have an RMP if you have 100 or more laying poultry and sell their eggs anywhere!

You have to have an RMP, even if you have less than 100 laying hens and sell eggs to a retailer or intermediary who on sells eggs.

You are exempt from having to have an RMP if you have less than 100 hens and only sell eggs direct to friends etc.

Tigger I'm not really sure about Farmers Markets because a lot of them have their own rules about food being prepared in accredited kitchens etc, so they may well ask that all sellers of products must have the appropriate Food Safety accreditation.
I saw raw wild hare and rabbit being sold in Queenstown Farmers Market, but read soon after where someone in Canterbury had been stopped from selling wild caught rabbit and hare.

Giddyup, remember that if you sell the eggs in a carton with somebody elses logo and information on the outside, you are actually mis representing the contents. Now you and I know that your home eggs are in another carton-but if someone got sick, the eggs were blamed and the carton was produced to the health department there could be a lot of explaining to do and the poor innocent party is the farm whose cartons were recycled!

Usually once you have to clean a dirty egg the damage has already been done and the bacteria is already inside the egg!

As an egg cools after it is laid the contents shrink and pull any contamination, bacteria etc in through the pores, which then cool, and close off. The cuticle or bloom on the outside of the shell provides a seal for the contents.
If you wash and scrub you dissolve and scrub off the bloom, thus opening the pores to the inside again, so the egg could get contaminated, even if it wasn't before.
Look carefuly at a shell, with a magnifying glass if possible, and look at the pores-some go right down to the internal membrane layer.

If you must clean use something dry and rough, like one of those pot scrub sponges which are rough on one side. You should aim to produce clean eggs in the first place. Clean out the nests frequently-daily if needed![:0]

No, I don't personally have a poultry farm-but I used to work for the biggest NZ company and looked after several farms, their birds and staff and everything that made them function.
My birds produced about 9 million hatching eggs a year, and no we were not allowed to clean them either-but they had to be clean or the hatchery rejected them-so we learned to produce naturally clean eggs-and ALL the birds ran around on the floor, and laid eggs in nests (most of the time)!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
15 years 11 months ago #180967 by Giddyup
Mother of god Sue!

You know most people including me - never think about these things!
Thanks!

More
15 years 11 months ago #180971 by GBpeter
Replied by GBpeter on topic Selling eggs
Interesting as our surplus (8doz a month) go to a supermarket who onsell them (along with duck eggs, turkey eggs etc) as local free range (at 100% mark up) No RMP so who is liable us or the supermarket :(.

More
15 years 11 months ago #180983 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Selling eggs
I've just read a little article in the latest Egg producers newsletter, where someone with 20 hens was 'spoken to' and the retailer that sold her eggs was warned-so it does happen!
Especially if a commercial egg producer in your area sees it going on and reports it to the NZ Food safety Association!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds