Register

Topic-icon Support for pepper plants

• Thank you received: 131
2 months 1 week ago #544461 by Hawkspur

How do people support their pepper plants?
I have tried winding them up a bit of hanging twine as I do for the tomatoes, but because the plants don't have a main stem, that isn't much help. The side branches are breaking off as the weight of the maturing peppers drags them down. They are in pots in a tunnelhouse so something hanging is ideal, because a stake in a pot doesn't have enough depth and leverage, but I can't think of a hanging support that won't get in my way for harvesting.
Suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 22
2 months 1 week ago #544465 by stentor

old bras?

• Thank you received: 19
2 months 1 week ago #544501 by sandgrubber

I've never felt they needed support. Have they grown spindly?
If you want to do something hanging, how about making a cylinder or cone out of some sort of fencing... Or mesh type rebar. Like a tomato cage, but hanging.

2 months 1 week ago #544502 by Hawkspur

Maybe they are spindly because they are in a tunnelhouse, and don't have to deal with wind etc. making the branches flex and toughen as they grow. Maybe they have a large crop weighing them down. I don't know what has caused it but those are possibilities I have thought of.
So far the broken branches have occurred on a jalepeno, a conical capsicum and a wildfire pepper.

• Thank you received: 15
2 months 1 week ago #544507 by Blueberry

I grow mine in the tunnelhouse, and i stake them :evil: -

they do tend to overcrowd a branch, pulling it down and then breaking off, so i'm staking them as i do the tomatos.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

• Thank you received: 37
2 months 6 days ago #544513 by Wren

Wow - your peppers are doing much better than mine!

Can you kind of split the hanging string at the bottom into plys to split between the branches....? Or tie a knot adding nes strings lower down to support each fruiting brach? Ours grow outside and I normally stake them, but haven't got round to that yet this season....

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

2 months 5 days ago #544524 by Hawkspur

We don't have the option of staking, because we use tubs that wick from the bottom for watering, which are not really deep enough to use stakes.
I will try adding a few more lines on twine supports without making it impossible to actually get at the peppers for harvesting.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.