Register

Topic-icon How do you store your potatoes?

• Thank you received: 1
4 months 1 week ago #544367 by nzsq

We've grown a wonderful crop of potatoes this year and have been enjoying eating the early crop. About to harvest the main crop and have been trying to find some potato sacks to store them in. But can't find them anywhere?? Do people not use potato sacks anymore (and if not, what do you use??) or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 199
4 months 1 week ago #544371 by muri

Coffee still comes in sacks, talk to a local roasting house and see if they have spare. They should do the job

• Thank you received: 445
4 months 1 week ago #544387 by Stikkibeek

I put mine in a latticed plastic rubbish bin and fill between layers with fresh wood shavings. (The sort you get from feed stores or farm outlets used as stable bedding or chook house litter) Air can circulate and they don't sweat between layers.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 9
4 months 1 week ago #544389 by Nora

I leave them in the ground until I want to eat them

• Thank you received: 167
4 months 1 week ago #544396 by tonybaker

I like the idea of shavings! I use banana boxes with extra lining to avoid light causing greening. Set them on a concrete floor to keep temp low. Don't put too many in same box as if one or two go bad, the rest will not suffer. If you do leave them in the ground, put heaps of mulch over them to keep them cool or they will start to grow again. Agria are very good keepers.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 1
3 months 3 weeks ago #544623 by nzsq

Thanks everyone. Yes, we do find that if we leave them in the ground too long they like to try and grow again so they're all dug now. We ended up using a mixture of boxes and some brown paper bags (actually the ones that Countdown pack their click & collect groceries in) and stored them away in the dark. Time will tell how successful these are but here's hoping they last us well through the winter!

• Thank you received: 4
3 months 3 weeks ago #544633 by Crusha

Hessian Sacks, left in the dark corner of the garage. Usually find some for sale on Trade Me. You can get different sizes of sack and weights of cloth.

• Thank you received: 87
3 months 3 weeks ago #544647 by max2

I'm sure our Wrightsons (Pukekohe, potato growing area) had a supply for a while...

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.