Register

Topic-icon Plant based Penicillium Candidum

• Thank you received: 0
2 months 3 weeks ago #544144 by helen55

Hi there

I'm keen on making plant based camembert and was wondering if anyone knows of a NZ based supplier of Penicillium Candidum. I was able to obtain Geotrichum Candidum from Australia but its not 100% ok for making camembert - the cheese develops minimal white mould and then blue mould starts growing.

I've been making a totally amazing blue vein but I also fancy having an authentic tasting plant based camembert.

Thanks

Helen

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 15 alpaca, 2 labradors and 5 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new recipes,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163
2 months 2 weeks ago #544151 by tonybaker

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

2 months 2 weeks ago #544152 by helen55

Thank you for your reply. I contacted Urban Cheese in Oct and they told me that the PC was culivated on milk.

cheers

Helen

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 15 alpaca, 2 labradors and 5 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new recipes,

• Thank you received: 407
2 months 2 weeks ago #544156 by LongRidge

Is the cheese that you are making not made out of cow, goat , sheep or alpaca milk?

2 months 2 weeks ago #544158 by helen55

Hi there

The cheese is made from cashews, coconut oil, probiotics, 'mould' and water :-)

• Thank you received: 407
2 months 2 weeks ago #544169 by LongRidge

Very interesting. Do you need to add a tiny bit of sucrose to get the mould started? In milk there is about 4% carbohydrates (all as lactose) to keep the bugs growing until they turn other components into an energy supply.

2 months 2 weeks ago #544170 by helen55

This is what I purchased in the hope that I would get a good white mould, but it doesn't do the trick :https://www.cheesemaking.com.au/shop/geotrichum-candidum-7-geo-candidum-a-10d-1500-litres/

On the other hand, the blue vein tastes just like the 'other' cheese.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.