Register

Topic-icon Plum pollination

• Thank you received: 1
8 months 4 days ago #542225 by iennis

Hi, I have an Elephant Heart plum which I am having great trouble matching to a good pollinator. We have Santa Rosa, Sultan and Omega but still the Elephant Heart flowers later than they do. I live near Pukekohe just south of Auckland. Has anyone any ideas of varieties that might pollinate Elephant Heart in my area? It's such a lovely plum and I would live to get something from our now substantial tree. Or should I give up and replace it with something similar and more reliable.?
I look forward to reading your thoughts about this. Cheers,

Ingrid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
8 months 2 days ago #542245 by flaxcottage

Hi , the only idea i thought of might be to graft one of the polinators onto your elephant plum. Not sure if this would help but others with more tree knowledge might know.

• Thank you received: 39
8 months 2 days ago #542251 by kai

I have the same plum and also the others you mention. They poliate each other fine. But I do find it is one year good, one year bad, so I am hoping it will be this year good, and as long as I get to them before the birds a good crop.

The following user(s) said Thank You: iennis

• Thank you received: 445
8 months 2 days ago #542259 by Stikkibeek

I too am near Pukekohe and I do not have any of the pollinators mentioned because they seem to flower too early here for the Elephant Heart. I use a Black Doris that flowers at the same time.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

8 months 1 day ago #542267 by iennis

Hi,

That's a good suggestion! Thank you, I'll try that next August.

Cheers,

Ingrid

8 months 1 day ago #542268 by iennis

Hi,

Oh thank you - I think flowering time varies just enough by regions to be annoying. I am very glad to hear about Black Doris being successful nearby. I do like a Black Doris jam. Yum!

Thanks so much!

Cheers,

Ingrid

Last Edit: 8 months 1 day ago by iennis. Reason: spelling!

• Thank you received: 6
7 months 4 weeks ago #542329 by Name123

I've got a Green Gage which does not get a good pollination. It was bought with a Coe's Golden Drop, which was supposed to be a pollinator. Two years ago I grafted a scion from the GG onto the CGD with the idea maybe the flowering would be more synchronised. I can't guarantee it, but it did seem to flower in sync with the CGD, but there's the question that as it becomes larger and more prominent whether the GG genes become more prominent and the CGD genes that pass the graft less so. So, no answers here. The graft got damaged, and is barely hanging on, so there won't be any further observations.

• Thank you received: 0
4 months 4 days ago #544528 by smudge

I have a good crop of black Doris this year. I have a 'Christmas plum' bastard type tree and a Louisa close by. Waiuku here :)

• Thank you received: 167
4 months 1 day ago #544563 by tonybaker

I've got a Green Gage and Coe's Golden Drop, they do not flower at same time in the S.I..I wonder if the nurseries rely too much on northern hemisphere information with regard to pollinators?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 21
3 months 3 weeks ago #544624 by Blueberry

Seems to be an ongoing problem. the first time i bought plum trees, i studied the polination info, and duly ordered 2 of each of 3 different plum trees (can't remember the names now, it's somewhere on a list). They flower each year, more or less at the same time, but i have yet to get a SINGLE plum off them. I have introduced more, different plums since, random varieties, cutting- seed and sucker grown, and those all fruit, but still no luck with those 3 varieties. They are marked for 'extinction'. one more year's grace, and then they are history.:evil:

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Blueberry. Reason: spelling

• Thank you received: 81
3 months 3 weeks ago #544625 by Mudlerk

Same here, Blueberry, for the first ten years. This spring, though, they seemed finally to be getting the picture...so the birds were very happy! Sigh...

• Thank you received: 6
3 months 3 weeks ago #544626 by Name123

I'm curious what the most reliably fruiting plum people have, from the year it was planted onwards. For me it'd have to be Hawera. I get a few Green Gage as the years go on, but have had to put traps down for the possums, as they love it and strip both the leaves branches and fruit. The Coe's golden drop does flower somewhat at the same time, but a bit earlier I think.

• Thank you received: 21
3 months 3 weeks ago #544628 by Blueberry

Mudlerk wrote: Same here, Blueberry, for the first ten years. This spring, though, they seemed finally to be getting the picture...so the birds were very happy! Sigh...

aahh, yes, the birds..... whole different story!
Over the past 18 years, we have planted 100's of fruit trees - and i do mean hundreds, like, 400 or so!!

Which means, i am in a very good position to tell you which trees the birds - particularly the Kereru and the Rosellas- really like....
First comes the European Prune Plums, like Victoria, Caszak etc. - the Kereru strip them from the first show of green in spring. The odd flower bud escapes the massacre, so i know they would fruit - if only they could..... Once the Prune-plums are naked, the Kereru moves on to - off all trees - the Gravenstein apple. I have several dwarf ones of those under netting, but the big one, the first i planted, is being cannibalised every year. It's only thanks to the fact that it's now grown to a good size that i get apples off it - the pigeons just cannot keep up with eating it. The peaches we need to harvest just slightly before they are soft and tree-ripened - or we're not getting any at all, thanks to the Rosellas. And then the nectarines - by the time they are ripe, they are being bruised all over, because the Rosella's keep coming back every other day, 'knocking' on the fruit to check if their are ripe!
Once the apples start ripening and dropping, we have to 'patrol' the paddock twice a day, or every apple has been nibbled on by rats and rabbits...

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

• Thank you received: 81
3 months 3 weeks ago #544629 by Mudlerk

And Hawera are delicious!

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.