Register

Topic-icon Slow Cooker

• Thank you received: 3
10 months 1 week ago #540888 by tahunakuaka

I saw one of these, or something similar, demonstrated at the NZMCA show, but wasn't sure if it actually worked as per the sales patter. I will have a closer look next show I go to, I like the idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 25
10 months 1 week ago #540896 by Belle Bosse

My Mum has a thermal cooker and loves it, especially when travelling.

• Thank you received: 64
10 months 1 week ago #540903 by Anakei

jeannielea wrote: As the worst roaster of meat in the universe I found doing one in the slow cooker but putting it into the oven for a last half hour has my family envious of such tender and delicious meat! To help with washing up it goes into a shallow pyrex dish lined with baking paper. Nothing else needed.

I've never tried roasting in the slow cooker - just pot roast with liquid. You have inspired me to try it!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

• Thank you received: 39
10 months 1 week ago #540917 by jeannielea

Hope you enjoy it!

• Thank you received: 40
10 months 1 week ago #540951 by spoook

Furball wrote: Have you looked at a quarter acre pot? thermalcooker.co.nz/
I got one at fieldays many years ago and it has been really good. You bring the pot full of stuff up to the boil on your regular stove and then put it in the insulated outer and it goes on cooking all day on its own heat - it's effectively a higher-tech hay box. As a bonus, you can still cook with it in a power cut (heat up the inner on the fire), and you can take it with you when out fishing or whatever and it's a pot of hot food when you want it.

I second the Quarter Acre Pot. Saves on any form of energy to cook during the day, just the prep time in the morning, put together and walk away to come back to a piping hot meal.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

• Thank you received: 9
10 months 5 days ago #540986 by Nora

I have the big rectangular Breville flavour maker. The pan can be used on stove to brown onions and meat first, and then out in the shell to cook. I have cooked apples on low overnight and it is simmering in the morning, not boiling I suppose. The pan can also go on top of our woodburner although so far I have only tried this once and it was too slow for my patience. So a good choice I think.

• Thank you received: 87
10 months 5 days ago #540988 by max2

We have a Breville Advance Meal Maker which must be getting on a bit now. Mum always had the round crock pots when I was growing up and personally I think its a fab way to have a lovely dinner ready for the end of the day.

Can't say any of us have ever been sick after eating a meal cooked this way.

• Thank you received: 3
10 months 4 days ago #541006 by tahunakuaka

Thanks for all the comments which are most helpful. I finally bought the Breville Flavour, maker the inner container can also be used on the stove top. My teenage grandson (family are here for the school holidays) used it to cook the very mature shoulder chops and they were tender and delicious. He assures me it only simmered on low, so I will take his word for it (the rest of us were out for the day). I won't get to use it until after the holidays - in the meantime I get to eat delicious meals and don't even have to clean up!! I still like the QAP idea though.

The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.