Register

Topic-icon Suet

• Thank you received: 64
1 year 1 week ago #539823 by Anakei

Suet in all those recipes I mentioned before is just grated raw suet, so freezing it in usuable amounts is perfect.

On the plus side it's slowly being recognised that saturated fats don't give you cholesterol ( high carbohydrate and sugar are the culprits)
and in NZ we are lucky enough to have grass fed beef which means the omega3 to omega6 balance is optimum.
So you can eat it with a clear conscience!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 312
1 year 1 week ago #539824 by Ruth

That's lucky, since there's a hell of a lot of fat cover on that heifer now hanging in a chiller for two weeks!

• Thank you received: 210
1 year 1 week ago #539825 by kate

At the risk of derailing this topic....

I love (really!) black pudding. When our homekill meat is defrosted there is usually a fair amount of blood that drains off. Has anyone made their own black pudding from previously frozen blood or does it need to be fresh?

Web Goddess

• Thank you received: 134
1 year 1 week ago #539832 by Hawkspur

kate wrote: At the risk of derailing this topic....

I love (really!) black pudding. When our homekill meat is defrosted there is usually a fair amount of blood that drains off. Has anyone made their own black pudding from previously frozen blood or does it need to be fresh?

You might need to see whether you can contact moggy.

lifestyleblock.co.nz/forum/your-place/16...ch-blood-is-in-a-cow

• Thank you received: 3
1 year 1 week ago #539853 by tahunakuaka

Haven't had a home kill for a year or two now, so no more suet in the freezer, or at the local butchers, but I did find a brand in one of the supermarkets "Tandaco"suet mix which is rendered beef suet in a form much like the old familiar brand. The christmas puddings were just as delicious as with raw suet.

• Thank you received: 0
1 year 1 week ago #539873 by Kokamo

Dare I say it during this discussion on animal fats, but I had to change to Atora for making dumplings when the supermarket stopped selling Shreddo, & have to say I have no complaints, the result is slightly less heavy dumplings, no noticeable flavour change...Just saying.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.