Register

Topic-icon Seaweed Tea

• Thank you received: 1
1 year 2 months ago #538122 by Escargo

So I decided to make some seaweed tea... it seemed easy ... collect the seaweed ... wash the seaweed ... pop it in a container and cover with water ... stir a couple of times a week ... and presto nice seaweed tea is formed.
Well, it's now a month down the track and it is slimy and REALLY putrid smelling. I expected it to smell but really ...
AND to top it off I have tons of these little critters swimming in it. They are white and have long feelers and look like larvae of something - but what I have no idea.
Can anyone tell me what they might be ... and where and if I am going wrong with this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 309
1 year 2 months ago #538125 by Ruth

The larvae may be rat-tail maggots, larvae of a hover fly. They're pretty cool. They usually hang around in watery shitty stuff.

Can't answer the other questions. We make putrid tea out of ragwort in the summer, primarily to rot down the flowers and stop the dispersal of seed. It really is foul.

• Thank you received: 63
1 year 2 months ago #538129 by Anakei

Don't know about the maggots but the reason your seaweed tea smells is because it is anaerobic - no oxygen. I have the same problem with comfrey tea.
There are 2 schools of thought. The first is that anaerobic solutions may actually be promoting the wrong bacteria and be useless. The second is - Its smelly, but use it any way. ( 1:10 dilution)

To oxygenate your tea you have to rig up some sort of air pump. There are lots of youtube videos on how this can be done. This is on my to-do list but with my limited DIY skills, its in my too-hard basket

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.