Register

Topic-icon Self sown pumpkins.

• Thank you received: 1
1 year 2 months ago #537803 by Rod Brown

I have several self sown pumpkin seeds come up in my compost in the garden (now about 6" across) is there any point in propagating these or is it far too late?. I think I recall there is not enough time for the pumpkins to develop fully before the frosts ie not much bigger than a softball therefore no good.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 79
1 year 2 months ago #537805 by Mudlerk

Such a weird summer that it's hard to judge! I am perservering with mine at Linton though...maybe a fortnight ahead of yours. Have got away with similar in previous years. In my experience, transplanting sets them back a few weeks. Is there any reason why you can't just leave them where they are...you can get away with a lot of shifting about of vines, so long as the roots aren't disturbed.

Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Mudlerk.

• Thank you received: 39
1 year 2 months ago #537806 by jeannielea

Why not just leave them there and see what happens/ Pumpkins love compost areas and it should grow fast there if you water it

• Thank you received: 1
1 year 2 months ago #537807 by Rod Brown

Trouble is they are growing amongst other vegetables and a nuisance where they are, I'm going to have to transplant them or bin them soon.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

• Thank you received: 25
1 year 2 months ago #537808 by Belle Bosse

If they are a pain to leave them where they are... transplant them else where, even if you do not get pumpkins, you do have a good tasty source of vege greens... the pumpkin tips!
Cooked with coconut milk, a little salt and pinch of curry powder... yum! But that comes from growing up in the South Pacific islands. Pumpkin tips do have a fairly strong flavour, so something mild is a good companion.

The growing tip and 15 to 20 cm back are what is picked. The furry outer of the stem is peeled off, firm stems cut off. Then the pumpkin tips are chopped similar to silver beet leaves and cooked till just tender and still bright green, in either plain water or coconut milk and water, with or without the pinch of curry. Salt to taste.

Something similar can be done with the Amaranth plant that pops up as self sown "weeds" in garden beds. The seed heads have a nutty flavour; a nice addition to the leafy stem tips (15 to 20 cm length).

I have not done it, but I'm pretty sure the pumpkin flower could be used like the courgette / zucchini flower for cooking, as they are from the same family... maybe you could try picking young pumpkins and using them as squash/ courgettes.

Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Belle Bosse. Reason: A bit more info re compost put into garden not compost pile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeannielea

• Thank you received: 0
1 year 2 months ago #537842 by smudge

I think it's way too late but give it a crack, you may well prove me wrong

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.