Register

Topic-icon Dehydrator suggestions

• Thank you received: 19
1 year 7 months ago #535183 by sandgrubber

My new property has four apricot trees, many plums and peaches, and I'm hoping for a good crop of tomatoes. I've never preserved via drying, but seems like a good idea....I live dried fruit. I'm not ready to put $1000+ into a commercial grade dehydrator, but don't want some a crappy plastic thing that will break after a few cycles. Is there anything decent in the $100-$400 range?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 166
1 year 7 months ago #535184 by tonybaker

you will find one HERE
I have 'one of those crappy things' and it works well and has lasted for years. Apple slices are really easy and are a great snack. Some people spray a little Sodium metabisulphite on the slices to stop them going brown.
Have you planted your early potatoes yet? 'Swift' is a good cultivar to get.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sandgrubber

• Thank you received: 133
1 year 7 months ago #535186 by Hawkspur

There's always the make your own approach:
www.motherearthnews.com/diy/tools/solar-...r-plans-zm0z14jjzmar

• Thank you received: 39
1 year 7 months ago #535192 by jeannielea

Lemon juice can also be used to stop fruit going brown

• Thank you received: 7
1 year 7 months ago #535194 by Bamboo

Thanks for that Hawkspur have added that to my list of things to build!!

• Thank you received: 6
1 year 7 months ago #535197 by Hekto

My mother-in-law bought this one and is super happy with it. She said it surpasses her old Sunbeam by miles!

www.vitality4life.co.nz/biochef-arizona-8-tray-food-dehydrator/

I'm planning to buy one for summer as well.

Wairarapa. 2 cats and a large veggie garden.

• Thank you received: 133
1 year 7 months ago #535211 by Hawkspur

Bamboo wrote: Thanks for that Hawkspur have added that to my list of things to build!!

If you like projects and want to add complexity, a friend made a smaller version of a solar dryer that hung from a verandah, and pivoted to follow the sun using a water clock mechanism. It needed to be rotated by hand to the start position each morning, but then turned to follow the sun as the water slowly dripped out. I don't have the details, but a basic water clock could be adapted to this if you like puzzling things out.

1 year 7 months ago #535215 by sandgrubber

Just ordered the vitality4life one. The DIY idea appeals, but thermostatic control and a timer win out... plus storing some contraption I built of plywood could be a problem. When I get thoroughly solarized, electrical gadgets will effectively be solar. :-)
Btw the same company makes larger and smaller version. Judging from the comments, they tend to sell out in the Autumn.

• Thank you received: 7
1 year 7 months ago #535217 by Bamboo

Thanks Hawkspur I think I will stick to the "basic" one for now as the list of "to do" is pretty long.

• Thank you received: 441
1 year 7 months ago #535225 by Stikkibeek

So how do those of you who use a dehydrator, actually store what you've dried? I used to have one, but found that what I dehydrated didn't keep very well so I sold the dehydrator.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 63
1 year 7 months ago #535263 by Anakei

I stored my dried fruit in preserving jars but had the same trouble unless something was dried to a bullet, This year I have a hanging net enclosed shelf in which I am going to store the fruit in cotton bags.
You can get them on ebay for less than $20 if you search camping hanging shelf. I tried to paste a link but it didn't work.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

1 year 7 months ago #535266 by sandgrubber

Great suggestion Anakel I have screen fronted shelves in the pantry... cotton bags should be easy to make.

• Thank you received: 166
1 year 7 months ago #535274 by tonybaker

yes if you put the dried fruit in jars, they tend to go mouldy unless really well dehydrated.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 79
1 year 7 months ago #535285 by Mudlerk

For the past few years I've been drying my apples by stringing them on horizontal strings in my greenhouse. After five sunny days, they go into small ziplock bags in the pantry...and last with no probs through to next summer. Dunno if it would work for other sorts of fruits, though.

• Thank you received: 0
1 year 5 months ago #536225 by candys

I use Sweda Food Dehydrator from time to time. But to be honest I prefer to store products in special food containers and bags that I ordered here https://allinpackaging.co.uk/ a few months ago. It's more convy for me and I think it has less effect on nutritional value of the products.

Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by candys.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.