Register

Topic-icon Kiddie party ideas please

• Thank you received: 39
1 year 7 months ago #535143 by kai

I am going to a first birthday party tomorrow (Saturday).
I don't have children, I have never been around children, don't know much about children.

The mother does not want the kids high on sugar things (good for her).

So ideas please for something to take. I know what I would make if it was an adults sugar free party, but I haven't got a clue what sort of things kids that age would like to eat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9
1 year 7 months ago #535147 by Nora

They probably won't eat much at age 1.

Fruit kebabs are easy and attractive. Use different coloured fruits chopped in chunks and thread onto kebab sticks. Watermelon is a favourite for kids, but probably not cheap at this time of year, Gold kiwifruit, melon, pineapple etc. Avoid banana as goes brown. Decorate plate with mint or parsley.

If going to a sugar friendly party in future then can thinly swizzle melted chocolate or honey over them once on the plate. No honey for babies less than 1 though.

• Thank you received: 133
1 year 7 months ago #535154 by Hawkspur

Frankly, I think 1st birthdays are really for the adults anyway, so adult food is fine, unless there are siblings or cousins going to be there to cater for.
Kids will generally eat the same food as adults if it is garishly decorated and not too strongly flavoured.;) :P

1 year 7 months ago #535174 by kai

Unfortunately your ideas came to nothing, The night before, we decided to go out for a meal, I decided to change my top and in my eagerness did not sit on the bed like I do at the moment and unfortunately fell backwards..... into the built in wardrobe with sliding doors and a nasty sliding door guide and then I slid down the two layers of built in drawers and and their handles. A 30cm bruise and scouring meant me lying there for an hour before I could move, so no baking/food making done that day.

Oh and of course OH tried to saw his hand off today.

A fwe years ago someone called me an accident waiting to happen, I think I now believe them!

• Thank you received: 133
1 year 7 months ago #535176 by Hawkspur

Oh my. I hope you are OK and so is your OH, and that the attempt to saw off a hand was very unsuccessful.

There are easier ways to get out of kids' birthday parties.

1 year 7 months ago #535177 by kai

Fortunately he only had a bowsaw in his hand not the chainsaw. It is a nasty cut, but I managed to stick it back together with steri strips and a dressing over the top

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.