Register

Topic-icon Anyone else selling both prepared foods and Jams - under what MPI program?

• Thank you received: 0
2 years 3 weeks ago #531428 by anniendanny

Hi,

After a few years break, we are re-registering our food trailer to sell at the markets and are being told by council it will now be the following process:

- To cook the "ready to go food" we need to pay $180 council registration for a Template Food control plan, plus use only council staff to verify it.

- to make jams and other jar-preserved foods to sell, we need to pay a separate $140 council registration of a National Program 2, and find an external verifier because council staff aren't trained to verify it.

- to take a bit of our excess fresh produce for another person to sell, we need to pay an additional $140 for a National Program 1, and find an external verifier because council staff aren't trained to verify it.

So all up, that is $180+$140 +$140 registration as well as paying two separate verification costs.

I would like to know about other people doing these activities in other councils - and are they done under separate programs / registrations? (I had thought that they could all be done together under the one program with the highest risk). Do you have different verifiers?

Annie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 441
2 years 3 weeks ago #531430 by Stikkibeek

Sounds to me as if it's time to scream "grandparent" or pioneer rights to sell or distribute our goods unmolested by money making ripoff legislation. Canadians, did this a few years back. This money making regulation is over the top and heavy with bureaucracy. Rant over!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 166
2 years 3 weeks ago #531436 by tonybaker

well, it's a tricky one - I for one would like some reassurance when buying from a market food stall that the food will not harm me.
I was just reading an article about typhoid Mary, who was the first person in the United States identified as an asymptomatic carrier of the pathogen associated with typhoid fever. She was presumed to have infected 22 people, three of whom died, over the course of her career as a cook.
The challenge is to have a cost effective policing system that allows individual enterprise without too much bureaucracy.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 0
2 years 3 days ago #531971 by candys

I like cooking and I cook for catering service quite often. I used to order special Choice Catering Equipment for that purpose, but I've never worked under any MPI program. Sounds interesting. I agree with tonybaker opinion.

Last Edit: 2 years 2 days ago by candys.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.