Register

Topic-icon Anyone ever actually made polenta?

• Thank you received: 39
2 years 1 month ago #531186 by kai

I mean make it, not cook it? The current corn crop was being ravaged by the pukekos, so I have picked it. It was grown from seed I was given, and it does not seem to be the best tasting sweetcorn, so thinking about drying for polenta. Do you take the kernels off first and dry, or dry it whole, then take the kernels of and grind.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 441
2 years 1 month ago #531192 by Stikkibeek

Dry on the cob. Much easier to handle and will not spoil as it would if you have damp stuff among the drier corn. They used to store the drying cobs in a corn crib and then use as required. If you tie it in bundles from a bit of the husk, and hang it, it should finish off drying. Protect from mice and rats

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 117
2 years 1 month ago #531223 by Ronney

Your question Kai made me go looking because I have to admit, I wasn't even sure what polenta was! Discovered what it was but nothing about how to get it from the cob to the grinder. A bit more searching and combination of terms and came up with this: www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and...ry-corn-zmaz75sozgoe
which looks simple and easy.

Even if it's not helpful, I've learnt something today.

Cheers,
Ronnie

• Thank you received: 39
2 years 1 month ago #531249 by kai

I came across that link after I posted and abandoned the idea, unless you have the right equipment to produce any amount is too much hard work I think, so a friends cow is getting all the crappy cobs, the rest I will probably de-husk, take the kernels off with a knife and dry them, then stick it into soups and stews.

I do love polenta and use it in many ways.

Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by kai.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.