Register

Topic-icon Passionfruit Not Ripening

• Thank you received: 0
2 years 1 month ago #530580 by Nelkoro Ranch

We have a great crop of green passionfruit. Last year's harvest was good but this year not one yet has ripened. The fruit is starting to shrivel up and drop off and stay green.
The plants have been well watered with compost and fertilizer added during the summer.

Any help appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 63
2 years 1 month ago #530586 by Anakei

Are they irrigated? Possibilities are low rainfall after Christmas and low minimum temperatures. My tomatoes are only starting to ripen now and I know lots of people who have complained about the late ripening of everything from beans to apples

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

2 years 1 month ago #530589 by Nelkoro Ranch

Yes, the plants are getting rain water every 2-3 days. My tomatoes are ripening as expected. I am aware that the apple crops in the Waikato, along with other crops, are running late.
Thanks

• Thank you received: 7
2 years 1 month ago #530709 by Runamuck

I hate to say it, but I think your vine has had it. We had exactly the same problem. Our vine did really really well for a few years - to the point where it had covered the length of a fence and was escaping into the bush. It reliably cropped heavily and was our pride and joy. Then out of the blue it did exactly what you've described yours doing. We tried everything we could think of but each year it got worse and worse until the entire vine died. We put it down to the age of the vine but new vines that popped up did exactly the same thing and a friend we consulted said he thought it was caused by the Woodiness virus. I looked it up here .... www.passionfruit.org.nz/Facts-Info/Consi...uit-Growers/Diseases and it certainly sounded like it may have been.

We've chopped it out and put new, unrelated, vines in - fingers crossed they'll be fine but it's too early to tell yet. That may be your only option too.

2 years 1 month ago #530712 by Nelkoro Ranch

Thank you for your informative reply. I don't know how old the two vines are and I am aware that they usually last 5 years and then need replacing.

Looks like we will need to start again.

• Thank you received: 413
2 years 1 month ago #530782 by LongRidge

Hmmm, sounds much worse than the problem that my parents had with their passion fruit. They were just about to cut the vine out because the fruit did not ripen, until they asked the children why this was happening. We were helping ourselves to the purple fruit before they shrivelled :-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nelkoro Ranch

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.