Register

Topic-icon Tomatoes won't ripen!

• Thank you received: 1
2 years 3 months ago #529354 by Rod Brown

I have money maker, they are in the glass house and have been growing quite prolifically since October (reaching the roof). This year for the 1st time not many flowers actually germinated, those that did have stayed green on the vine (some have been there for 2 months). I have had a look online for the reasons and I'm sure none of those mentioned apply to me!

I have had some on the window ledge and some in a brown paper bag (with an apple) for a week and they are still green. Any ideas?

I want to make tomato sauce not green tomato chutney.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 166
2 years 3 months ago #529355 by tonybaker

are you keeping the water up to them? Try a bit of potash or wood ash that has not been rained upon. If all else fails, try nail polish!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 63
2 years 3 months ago #529359 by Anakei

Is your greenhouse heated? Its the variation between minimum and maximum temperatures. Too hot and too cold and they stop ripening If your spring has been anything like ours, we were getting very cold nights right up until Christmas, and the few hot days can make a glass house temperature soar. If the weather settles down to a steady row of warm nights and not too hot days, then they will ripen. Nipping out the leaders so they don't try to set any more fruit may help, but of course this will be to the detriment to the later harvest......As with most things in the garden - you just can't win!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

2 years 3 months ago #529363 by Rod Brown

The watering is on automatic timer, 1/2 an hour in the morning and 1/2 an hour at night (too much or too little?) and they are growing prolifically! The glass house is not heated and I believe the temp is ok neither too hot or cold, they are growing in compost and I have added other fert. But maybe I could try extra potash! Also you are right with gardening sometimes you can't win.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

• Thank you received: 441
2 years 3 months ago #529366 by Stikkibeek

Maybe too much nitrogen in your compost making the tomatoes put too much into growing.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

2 years 3 months ago #529367 by Rod Brown

Just read online it can take 3 weeks to 3 months to ripen off vine (last year they ripened on the window ledge in less than a week) This informant said they don't need light ie not on window ledge but around 15 degrees is best and a darker place. Might try everything!

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.