Register

Topic-icon Fruit identification

• Thank you received: 6
3 years 2 weeks ago #520593 by Name123

Does anyone know what this fruit is? At first I thought it might be a crab apple, but the yellow flesh and round seed cavity, and the flavour, indicate otherwise.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 441
3 years 2 weeks ago #520596 by Stikkibeek

Looks just like a Japonica. It may smell vaguely like a quince. If it is tart and the seeds look a bit like apple seeds, then go for it and make some jelly. It is delicious.Use a quince jelly recipe.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Stikkibeek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Name123

• Thank you received: 6
3 years 2 weeks ago #520598 by Name123

Unfortunately, it's just a small bush I saw at the side of the road at the edge of a paddock and there were only four or five fruits at most. I was driving down some side streets while in town and noticed them. Maybe I'll try and save some seed, but I doubt the bush in question will ever produce enough fruit.

If the bush has fruit on it still next week so I can identify it, I'll mark it and take some cuttings for grafting later on.

Thanks!

Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Name123.

• Thank you received: 39
3 years 2 weeks ago #520601 by kai

Without the size or a pic of the plant, but I would guess as Japanese quince - no relative to other quinces, it is on a bush that has usually beautiful pink flowers over summer

if is it needs cooking. The only time I have had It was in Poland when they made into a syrup and served it into tea, instead of sugar . It had a fragrant taste.

• Thank you received: 441
3 years 2 weeks ago #520607 by Stikkibeek

The shrub is usually grown as an ornamental as its flowers are rather lovely (look like wild roses) and the fruit is a bonus. The shrub is low growing but spreads out a little. It has some spines on branches but no worse than some lemons get. Right time of the year for ripe fruit. scientific name Chaenomeles and there's a nice pic of the flowers on wiki.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 0
2 years 3 months ago #529349 by Claudiaclark

It's Japonica fruit and very tasty. Flavored sometime bitter like lemon but full of healthy benefits.

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.