Register

Topic-icon Surplus eggs

• Thank you received: 441
3 years 8 months ago #39971 by Stikkibeek

Anybody know if you can freeze hard boiled eggs for later use and their keeping time?
Have accumulated over 6 dozen in the last two weeks and not ready to incubate yet, so too many to cope with as some sales fell through. I usually end up boiling any old ones and feeding back to the hens when I get too many, but thought they could make good snacks for us if they can be frozen.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
3 years 8 months ago #510151 by llvonn

From the quick google search I did - apparently they do not freeze well.

However, I have some recipe suggestions. As it is winter hot desserts are nice after dinner. Make a traditional custard (using eggs and not custard powder) - that will use up some egg yolks. An alternative for using egg whites - try Angel Food Cake.

Also - If you like chocolate - Try this recipe. With dark chocolate it is wonderful for adults. I have not tried it with a milk or white chocolate.

310gm 70% dark chocolate (broken into pieces) plus 185gm for the topping
10 large eggs separated

Line a springform tin. The collar should be above the top of the tin. Preheat oven to 250C
In a bowl over a pot of boiling water (bowl should not touch water) melt the 310gms of chocolate stirring often.
Beat eggwhites until stiff peaks form
Once chocolate is melted, gently stir beaten egg yolks to the chocolate.
Add a couple of table spoons of egg white to the mixture and stir to combine. Quickly and gently fold in the rest of the egg white.
Pour mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 8 minutes exactly.
Remove tin from oven. DO NOT remove cake from tin. Let the tin cool and then chill for 12 hours or overnight in the fridge.
Remove cake from tin and place on serving plate. Melt remaining chocolate and pour over the cake. Chill for 5 minutes in the fridge to set.
To cut the cake, dip a sharp knife in hot water before slicing.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

• Thank you received: 310
3 years 8 months ago #510154 by Ruth

We have lots of margarine containers in the freezer with the season's surplus eggs.
Lightly beat as many as you wish to freeze together - we do 6-8 for scrambled egg dinners, 4 or 6 for various recipes, a dozen for later use in B&E pies - and freeze, labelled, so you can just pull them out when you need them.
They presumably need to be beaten to create an even(ish) consistency in the liquid you're freezing.

• Thank you received: 86
3 years 8 months ago #510157 by max2

I do the same with ice cube trays, mix white and yolk together and pour into each cube. Can be tricky to pop out, so try not to leave it in the tray in the freezer for too long.

Ideal for baking with.

• Thank you received: 0
3 years 8 months ago #510165 by Buttons

I'm being overrun with eggs at the moment and have been making mini frittatas for freezing and as a grab and go breakfast/lunch and pickling hard boiled eggs.

It had been about 20 years since I'd had a pickled egg and had forgotten how delicious they were.

• Thank you received: 39
3 years 8 months ago #510169 by kai

hardboil them for 15 mins, then pickle them in vinegar delicious as a snack.

• Thank you received: 5
3 years 8 months ago #510173 by Organix

We freeze raw duck eggs when we have a surplus. Just break individual eggs into silicon muffin tray 'cups' and when frozen they can easily be popped out and stored loose in 2 litre ice cream containers or similar.

I'm currently working my way through the last of some eggs that were frozen back in Nov-Jan. The yolks tend to go a bit 'rubbery' but as I'm frying them and I prefer them with the yolks hard that's not a problem, and anyway it's probably safer to cook them well after 6 months in the freezer.

The ducks are meanwhile producing about a dozen a day which we are selling for hatching :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

• Thank you received: 12
3 years 8 months ago #510194 by stephclark

ditto organix.. to assist with the thawed consistency..add pinch of salt or sugar when beating raw egg before freezing

• Thank you received: 0
3 years 8 months ago #510426 by Barnrat

As advised above, definitely better to freeze raw. We used to get 4 gallon tins of frozen egg pulp in the bakery rather than having to break hundreds of shells for the bulk sponge mixes etc.

Otherwise... It's pancake season

3 years 8 months ago #510431 by Stikkibeek

Barnrat;517344 wrote: As advised above, definitely better to freeze raw. We used to get 4 gallon tins of frozen egg pulp in the bakery rather than having to break hundreds of shells for the bulk sponge mixes etc.

Otherwise... It's pancake season

I'd have to eat one hell of a lot of pancakes to use up these surplus eggs!
:D :D :p

Yesterday, I boiled a large pot full and fed to hens. Now there are more hens laying!![:0]

• Thank you received: 1
3 years 8 months ago #510440 by llvonn

I did a count yesterday and I have 50 in the fridge - its only me to eat them. There will be more to collect from today.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

• Kiwi303
  • LSBs token mad gunman.
  • Thank you received: 14
3 years 8 months ago #510441 by Kiwi303

I second the boil and preserve in vinegar. Quite nice that way and will keep just as long as any pickle or gherkin.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• Thank you received: 10
3 years 8 months ago #510442 by Tui Ridge

Late spring early summer when we are getting a couple of doz a day, I take the extras down to the salvation army or any other food bank I can find once a week or so.

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

3 years 8 months ago #510449 by Stikkibeek

Tui Ridge;517366 wrote: Late spring early summer when we are getting a couple of doz a day, I take the extras down to the salvation army or any other food bank I can find once a week or so.

That's a good idea, but isn't that now a grey area with RMA's? I offered a whole heap of beautiful silver-beet to them a while back and was turned down. They only wanted tinned food! [xx(]

• Thank you received: 10
3 years 8 months ago #510479 by Tui Ridge

Stikkibeek;517374 wrote: That's a good idea, but isn't that now a grey area with RMA's? I offered a whole heap of beautiful silver-beet to them a while back and was turned down. They only wanted tinned food! [xx(]

They were happy to take them last summer - apparently they used to get the 2nds from one of the bigger producers but that stopped so they were pleased to get any as they hadn't had any in a while[^]

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.