Register

Topic-icon Goats Milk Cheese

• Thank you received: 1
4 years 2 days ago #39520 by Escargo

Has anyone made cheese from goats milk?
I want to give this a go, but sourcing goats milk in Hawke's Bay is proving to be a little difficult .... maybe somebody might be able to help me.
Other than that I have thought of trying Healtheries Goat Milk Powder. I know it wouldn't be the same as fresh goats milk though.
Any thoughts or suggestions ....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 39
4 years 2 days ago #505590 by kai

There are plenty of goat milkers around. I used to make cheese when I was milking our goats I made cheese.
I would suggest you find the local buy and sell page on facebook and ask there, there will no doubt be someone not to far from you.
Andrea is the goats cheese expert on here.

• Thank you received: 63
4 years 2 days ago #505599 by Anakei

[:0]Surely you are not suggesting the purchase of raw goats milk against the advice of the New Zealand Veterinary Association?!![:0] (See Cowvets Raw Milk thread)

You'll get locked up for advocating for a dangerous substance. Now I have to lie down with a fag and a bottle of brandy to calm my nerves.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

• Kiwi303
  • LSBs token mad gunman.
  • Thank you received: 14
4 years 2 days ago #505609 by Kiwi303

The answer for me is yes, mum has her own goat herd, and makes cheese herself, both goat and cow. But Nelson isn't close enough for you to get any milk from there!

Have you made cows milk cheese? Plenty of dairy farmers around, and in my experience most don't mind your arranging to show up at milking time with a pail.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

4 years 1 day ago #505632 by Andrea1

Been milking goats and making cheese for years. I think maybe the problem you might be having now is that most goat milkers have dried off their goats to put them in-kid. The commercial dairies start kidding in about 2-3 months, and down here in the South Island most of us don't start kidding till August/Sept. Try the Cottage Crafts website, there's a 'milk map' there you can consult to see who's in your area.

• Thank you received: 9
4 years 1 day ago #505643 by eelcat

We too have been making both goat and cow's milk cheese for some years but are making neither at the moment - no babies to create the milk!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

4 years 1 day ago #505673 by Escargo

Thanks for your help ... You can tell I am a townie, as I didn't even think of the time of year for kids!! I should have known that when I think about it because I can buy sheeps milk from September through to December from Origin Earth in Hawke's Bay. Thanks everyone ... but any more comments are welcome.
I have made plenty of cow's and sheeps milk cheeses (I make cheese regularly) and my supply comes from Hohepa and Origin Earth at this stage. I might still have a go with the powdered Goats Milk.

• Thank you received: 413
3 years 11 months ago #505848 by LongRidge

Anakei, there is no tuberculosis, brucellosis, or leptospirosis possible in goats milk, and they are the really bad diseases. Most of the others are much better in that they kill outright or you recover unharmed.

• Thank you received: 3
3 years 11 months ago #506854 by rivercottage

Hi Escargo - I can't offer advice about supply but I have made cheese with a mixture of goat, sheep and cow's milk. I made an approximation of Manchego, which is a fairly hard Spanish cheese.

I got the recipe from the Lifestyle Block Cheese Book version 2 by the way. The flavour was superb, and having eaten true Manchego in Spain I was pretty impressed - I mean, considering it was made by little old me in little old Tasman, it was pretty bloomin' tasty.

I used lipase in the mixture but givent the amount of goat/sheep milk in the mix, I probably didn't need it. Sweet, nutty and crumbly. I opened the cheese after only 3 weeks as I was paranoid that it would go off; now I am kicking myself because I can only imagine what it would have tasted like after 3 to 12 months.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.