Register

Topic-icon Lard

• Thank you received: 39
4 years 1 week ago #39497 by kai

Can you buy this in NZ? I have a hankering to make a good old fashioned pork pie, but I don't think I have ever seen lard in NZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 441
4 years 1 week ago #505396 by Stikkibeek

I have seen it in CD, but not looked for it for a while. If you have a small butcher nearby, you should be able to order some.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 0
4 years 1 week ago #505400 by shad297

Yes of course you can, see it at New World all the time. Called Pork Lard and in a different coloured pottle than Beef Dripping also commonly available (think it's in a dark blue one) Our local butcher shops sell it too. You'll realise you have probably seen it before when you actually 'see' it. Not to be confused with Chefade/Shortening which they sell in my local supermarket next to the offal in a black polystyrene tray with cling film over the top.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

4 years 1 week ago #505411 by kai

So it doesn't come in blocks the way butter does? And it does not live alongside the butter & marg? That could be where I have been going wrong.

You still can't buy suet here unless you are in the English section and you get lucky, though usually it is vegetarian suet, which sort of defeats the point.

• Thank you received: 3
4 years 1 week ago #505424 by igor

But is not suet the fat of vegetarian animals? That makes it close enough to vegetarian for me.

4 years 1 week ago #505427 by shad297

kai;511786 wrote: So it doesn't come in blocks the way butter does? And it does not live alongside the butter & marg? That could be where I have been going wrong.

You still can't buy suet here unless you are in the English section and you get lucky, though usually it is vegetarian suet, which sort of defeats the point.

Yes sorry forgot to explain above that the lard is normally at one end of the meat section in plastic pottles, not with the butter and marg products. One of my local butchers here in Palmy (Prestons) sell suet, shrink wrapped and frozen, very cheap, sometimes however it still has little pieces of meat/kidney attached to you have to chop off but it is the real deal.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

4 years 1 week ago #505428 by kai

I have been here for 9 years now, and the subtle differences still catch me out.

Should you happen to want lard in the UK, look for a pack like butter, but usually mainly white.
Should you want suet, look for a small cardboard box and not in the refrigerated section, probably somewhere near the gravy power if I recall correctly. Pre shredded and if not the store own brand it will be Atora. (I have their old cook book and bring the stuff back whenever I have to go back to the UK)

4 years 1 week ago #505429 by kai

Just seeing the funny side of this - please help me navigate a NZ supermarket, I still have not learnt how to after 9 years :o

Now I just need to find gravy browning......

4 years 1 week ago #505441 by shad297

kai;511806 wrote: Just seeing the funny side of this - please help me navigate a NZ supermarket, I still have not learnt how to after 9 years :o

Now I just need to find gravy browning......

Ha ha, I've been here nearly 28 years and will be going back to old Blighty in June for 5 weeks to see the family and will have trouble navigating a British supermarket....no doubt!

4 years 1 week ago #505449 by kai

shad297;511819 wrote: Ha ha, I've been here nearly 28 years and will be going back to old Blighty in June for 5 weeks to see the family and will have trouble navigating a British supermarket....no doubt!

There are so huge over there these days.

I don't suppose, if you are not using your cheese allowance I could pay you to bring some back? Can even supply a little chilly bin which will fit inside your luggage and ice pack. And yes before you ask, you are allowed to bring it back.

• Thank you received: 1
4 years 1 week ago #505458 by llvonn

I think moreish sell lard - but it is not listed on their website. You might need to ring up.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

• Thank you received: 26
3 years 11 months ago #505882 by kindajojo

There is a UK shop in Milson shopping centre in Palmy, they have lots of stuff..Thornton toffee, .....if you catch them when they get a shipment in it's good...think they have browning and promite

3 years 11 months ago #505886 by kai

I finally found it in Levin.

3 years 11 months ago #505901 by shad297

kindajojo;512314 wrote: There is a UK shop in Milson shopping centre in Palmy, they have lots of stuff..Thornton toffee, .....if you catch them when they get a shipment in it's good...think they have browning and promite

It is an interesting shop, however it is wickedly expensive and now I've been here so long I can't really remember stuff that I miss from the mother country.
The first few years I was here it was Maltesers and Galaxy chocolate. I also used to bring back big pots of Marmite but now of course can buy for cheaper in the supermarkets here (Our Mate).
I made (the mistake?) of introducing of my son's friends to Jaffa Cakes and one day he went to the shop on his bike aged about 14 and bought 7 packets of them with his pocket money!!

3 years 11 months ago #506301 by kai

shad297 There is not a lot I miss, but I do miss decent pub grub, particularly those that do a good carvery.
Oh, now you have got me thinking
Cheese and onion pasties and proper Cornish pasties, haggis, decent black and white pudding and the variety of cheeses that you can get.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.