Register

Topic-icon Wanted interesting broad bean varieties

• Thank you received: 6
4 years 1 month ago #504234 by Name123

Hmm. Apparently multiple pollen donors are called polyandry .

Mating with more than one pollen donor, or polyandry, is common in
land plants. In flowering plants, polyandry occurs when the pollen from
different potential sires is distributed among the fruits of a single individual,
or when pollen from more than one donor is deposited on the same stigma.
Because polyandry typically leads to multiple paternity among or within
fruits, ...

So if I do hand pollinate to ensure cross-pollination, and ensure all plants are pollinated by all potential crosses, it sounds like I can definitely help the genetic mix-up along.

Anakei: The author of the mother earth articles posts on this forum . You could ask him any questions, or search on his old posts as he documents his progress.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
4 years 1 month ago #504244 by morioka

Name123;510479 wrote:

So if I do hand pollinate to ensure cross-pollination, and ensure all plants are pollinated by all potential crosses, it sounds like I can definitely help the genetic mix-up along.

That sounds like a good plan. Its also a good idea to tag the flowers that you crossed so that when you come to harvest you can see what crosses work best. Some lines of plants make better mothers than others.

If you find you have a fairly good plant line you may also try a process of backcrossing and intercrossing , where you introduce pollen from other plants with a desirable characteristic (eg disease resistance) into your best line in the hope that you can get the desirable genes transferred into you plant.

Here is a link to a text book on plant breeding in PDF format - its pretty big (over 500 pages) but there is some useful info in it
http://www.agri.ankara.edu.tr/fcrops/1289__BITKI_GENETIGI_VE_ISLAH.pdf

• Thank you received: 63
4 years 1 month ago #504253 by Anakei

Name123;510479 wrote:

Anakei: The author of the mother earth articles posts on this forum . You could ask him any questions, or search on his old posts as he documents his progress.

Thanks for the link - lots of information there :D

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.