Register

Topic-icon The texture of pickled walnuts

• Thank you received: 6
4 years 1 month ago #39344 by Name123

I've had pickled walnuts in the cupboard for over two months, and the other day broke one out and tasted the walnuts. They had a slightly crunchy crust and a softer inside - is that how yours end up?

I can't say I find them appealing. Just wondering if I did it wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 39
4 years 1 month ago #503965 by kai

When I have bought them (I have never had any to pickle when green), they are soft, probably as much crunch as an olive. I love them. Haven't had any in years

4 years 1 month ago #503970 by Name123

Ah, well, these have an almost unpleasant crispness to the skin. Like olives sounds more appealing. I'll do some googling and see if I can work out where it all went wrong.

4 years 1 month ago #503971 by kai

Name123;510183 wrote: Ah, well, these have an almost unpleasant crispness to the skin. Like olives sounds more appealing. I'll do some googling and see if I can work out where it all went wrong.

possibly you just need to leave them longer or the walnuts were not picked early enough

• Thank you received: 412
4 years 1 month ago #503988 by LongRidge

The ones that I have done have been soft all the way through. My recipe told me to spike the green, unprocessed kernels with a needle or similar before salting and drying, during which time they go black. Did you spike the kernels at the start?
The flavour is very definitely an acquired taste, mainly of the vinegar and spices that have been used. The flavour of mine improved with storage, 2 years much better than 2 months, and 5 years better still.
You possibly picked the kernels (is that the right word????) a couple of weeks too late.

• Thank you received: 36
4 years 1 month ago #504013 by spoook

I have pickled many batches of walnuts, love them. :D You do have to get them at the right stage, being able to push a darning needle through the whole nut was my test.
The piercing them for absorption of the vinegar and spices is important. I had a "bed of nails" I used to push them onto.
I doubt not having brined them long enough will be the issue as that is only for preserving and moisture control.
OMG [:0] I have to agree with LR.
The longer they are kept, the better the flavour.
I would say they were a little too mature when pickled.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

4 years 1 month ago #504020 by kai

spoook if I ever get up your way for a visit, you had better save me a jar.

4 years 1 month ago #504026 by Name123

I pushed toothpicks into them all. As I understood it, this was to better allow the darkness out when brining, but also to detect if there was a shell inside. The unpleasant crispness of mine is the skin which would have been outside of the shell anyway, not the presence of the shell.

They were definitely brined too long, not too short.

So, it's possibly too old and the skin is too tough but not so old as to have a shell. Or possibly brined too long. Will have to see next year.

But there are some other references out there that might match my result:

" As with pickled eggs the attraction is actually that texture - in this case a slightly crumbly skin with mushy interior."

"But, I found the texture a little scratchy & odd. Is that just because I was impatient and will it get softer as the walnuts age? I sure hope so, because this stuff is fantastic."

• Thank you received: 36
4 years 1 month ago #504034 by spoook

OMG, I am sitting hear drooling. The mere thought of pickled walnuts get my taste buds working overtime.

Kai, the only one I have now were pickled to late, semi crunchy. Make a great chutney / pickle though.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

• Thank you received: 20
4 years 1 month ago #504052 by Blueberry

i'd have to agree with LR, too: do not eat before at least 12 months old - the older, the better.
i've been known to leave mine in the brine for weeks, did not affect the outcome - IF they were stored for at least 12 month before consumption.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.