Register

Topic-icon Ideas for posh mince recipe

• Thank you received: 39
4 years 1 month ago #39322 by kai

Wanting to do something nice for this evening meal. For starters I have soured cucumber soup, for desert a fruit salad with two types of melon, apple, grapefruit.

For the mains, I have beef mince. I do not want to do anything bolognaise/chilli type or a plain old meat loaf.
I a looking for something a bit special, quite happy to faff about with making it look pretty. But I really cannot think of anything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
4 years 1 month ago #503825 by Hawkspur

What about a long pie?
Make a flaky buttery pastry, roll out into a rectangle and fill with mince and vegetables and a few flavourings to give richness, such as tomato paste, herbs, spices to your taste, fish sauce, stock, roll sides up to make a pretty join at the top, seal the ends, bake, and slice to serve?

• Thank you received: 441
4 years 1 month ago #503838 by Stikkibeek

Or stuff a marrow with it if you have one.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 0
4 years 1 month ago #503842 by Remetis

Make cajun hambugers.... mix mince with garlic, cooked chopped onion, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and an egg. Shape into burgers.
Fry black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, paprika and oregano for a minute or two, add the bugers, remove bugers when cooked. Add stock to pan and reduce, thicken with cornflour.

4 years 1 month ago #503844 by kai

Stikkibeek;510029 wrote: Or stuff a marrow with it if you have one.

That is not a bad idea, but a very silly question at this time of year :D

4 years 1 month ago #503845 by kai

Remetis;510034 wrote: Make cajun hambugers.... mix mince with garlic, cooked chopped onion, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and an egg. Shape into burgers.
Fry black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, paprika and oregano for a minute or two, add the bugers, remove bugers when cooked. Add stock to pan and reduce, thicken with cornflour.

Interesting, I have been leaning towards something solid, but I get fed up of hamburgers in a bun

4 years 1 month ago #503856 by Stikkibeek

kai;510036 wrote: That is not a bad idea, but a very silly question at this time of year :D

Have your eco climate zuchinis snuffed it then? Ours are still flowering and producing.

• Thank you received: 26
4 years 1 month ago #503875 by kindajojo

Meat balls.....with a nice sauce....
Thai flavours are nice with pork mince, but beef is nice with smokey BBQ flavours...

4 years 1 month ago #503877 by kai

Stikkibeek;510050 wrote: Have your eco climate zuchinis snuffed it then? Ours are still flowering and producing.

No I meant, is the pope catholic? do bears pee in the woods? etc etc

• Thank you received: 63
4 years 1 month ago #503892 by Anakei

Its probably too late for today but Bobotie is a family favourite
Brown mince and onions, add some nice mild curry powder or paste and some chopped dried apricots (or apricot jam or chopped apple and a handful of sultanas) , s&p and a1/2 tin of tomatoes. It shouldn't be too wet. Put into a baking pan add a couple of lemon leaves (use like bay leaves), then beat up 2 eggs in a cup of milk, add 1 tsp of turmeric, s&p, and pour over the top. Sprinkle a few flaked almonds over the top and bake until set. Serve with rice and a salad.

This is a South African recipe that every one has a favourite version of, so I expect to be shot down in flames because some one will have another recipe, but this was the version I was given when I lived there. I use coconut milk for the custard now.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

4 years 1 month ago #503895 by Stikkibeek

kai;510074 wrote: No I meant, is the pope catholic?

Nope. He's Argentinian [}:)]

• Thank you received: 133
4 years 1 month ago #503914 by Hawkspur

Stikkibeek;510096 wrote: Nope. He's Argentinian [}:)]

Well, he's Argentinian, and Catholic, and apparently more catholic than some Catholics.[;)]

• Thank you received: 0
4 years 1 month ago #503940 by Barnrat

A bit late for your original question. I hope your meal turned out well.

However, when you're ready to eat mince again, this is what I'm having tonight. I'm using chicken mince, but any dead beast through the mincer would work.

Baked and stuffed potatoes.

First scrub and prick a few large potatoes and get them in the oven to bake. Meanwhile saute some chopped Spring Onions, Capsicum and Celery with a bit of chopped Rosemary (other herbs optional) in a little olive oil. Add mince, stirring and chopping for a few minutes to stop it setting into meat balls. Add a few large tablespoons of home made tomato relish (Edmonds recipe). Simmer until nicely cooked and set aside until the potatoes are done.

Cut potatoes open lengthways and scoop out about half the flesh and replace with mince mixture. Cover with cheese and top with a little home made Red Pepper relish. Grill until cheese is bubbling golden. Serve with a spoonful of Sour Cream on top. Eat with a salad to balance the meal.

Meanwhile keep aside the surplus potato for tomorrow's fish cakes.

• Thank you received: 3
4 years 3 weeks ago #504737 by rivercottage

Ditto to that I am way too late to help with your meal but bobotie makes me think of moussaka. Savoury, tomato-ey red wine-y mince, but hardly any free liquid. Stacks of fresh parsely, plus oregano if you want. Layer into a baking dish as per lasagne only using aubergine slices. As many layers as you like. Cheese sauce on top with eggs beaten in, bake at about 170 to 180 for 45-60 mins. Cheese sauce topping comes out puffy and light. Yum with veg or with salad. Even better 3 days later and reheated.

NB everyone says to salt and fry the aubergine slices but I don't. I microwave the slices until they go floppy and a bit thin then just use like that.

I only make this when aubergines are cheap.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.