Register

Topic-icon New uses for plums

• Thank you received: 39
4 years 3 months ago #39036 by kai

I am into plum glut season. I plan to freeze some, dry some, make some wine, plum crumble, maybe some sorbet and some plum chilli sauce.

So now out of ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 86
4 years 3 months ago #501237 by max2

I bottled some cut in half in a medium syrup today for eating with ice cream in winter... the last two bottles look more like a stew though, but the taste will be there.

Dried another batch in the food dehydrator to use in muffins etc instead of dried apricots.

• Thank you received: 1
4 years 3 months ago #501238 by llvonn

Stew and jar the plums (preserving). Also you could put some brandy or vodka over the plums and let them soak for a bit - great adult dessert.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

• Thank you received: 441
4 years 3 months ago #501241 by Stikkibeek

choose ripe sound plums, prick moderately, put into brandy with sugar in wide mouthed jar with secure lid, (not sure of the amountof sugar per litre of brandy but should be easy to find) set aside in cool dark place for 6 months turning the bottles occasionally. Turns into the most delicious plum brandy! and the plums are delicious as an adult desert.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 63
4 years 3 months ago #501242 by Anakei

Rumtopf - traditional German preserve.
Get a large jar ( my rumtopf is a stoneware jar about 5L )
Layer fruit as it is picked with a sprinkle of sugar and cover with strong rum ( or other strong spirit, I've done it with brandy as well) as each fruit comes into season add another layer and more sugar and spirit. Fill to the top then keep till mid winter, You can use 1 type of fruit or a mixture - berries peaches plums, cherries etc. Drink the spirit and use the fruit for any dessert. Its the same principle as sloe gin but the fruit is edible! And delicious!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

• Thank you received: 5
4 years 3 months ago #501243 by Edenview

I am the same with apricots at the moment! Like the sound of the above recipe mite try that. I recon dry some plums, so yum specially if they are sour our kids love them.

Sent from my GT-S6500D using Tapatalk 2

• terralee
  • Aged Animal Accumulator
  • Thank you received: 55
4 years 3 months ago #501279 by terralee

Don't suppose you could send the excess here ...I would of course pay the transport costs [;)] oh and same for the apricots ...all transportation costs covered[^]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

• Thank you received: 441
4 years 3 months ago #501284 by Stikkibeek

Well we wont be having a glut of plums this year either. Last year they vanished over two days and it was concluded either possums of two of four legged variety. This year they have vanished again, but not so easy for two legged types, and there are also stones left on the ground, picked very clean, so now I'm thinking either rats (but they haven't touched the delectable bait) or, Rosella.

All the apples appear to have rosella damage but they are still quite green, and the nectarine have similar damage although done very early and may have been bronze beetle.
Couple that with the grass grubs and click beetle larvae that are eating the potatoes, beans and peas and I wonder why I bother to grow stuff!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 0
4 years 1 month ago #503209 by Leonie

Awe you are so lucky. We just planted our plum trees. A black Doris & another one (mind blank).
As a kid we lived on plums at this time of the year. Big black Doris plums mmmm good memories.
Am so looking forward to having plenty again one day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'REGRET IS A DULL AND RUSTED BLADE'

• Thank you received: 5
4 years 1 month ago #503220 by Edenview

The 6 plums on my tree are nearly ready! Don't think I need to do any preserving tho....

Sent from my GT-S6500D using Tapatalk 2

• Kiwi303
  • LSBs token mad gunman.
  • Thank you received: 14
4 years 1 month ago #503221 by Kiwi303

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• Thank you received: 166
4 years 1 month ago #503223 by tonybaker

the trick with plum trees is to prune regularly or they grow huge. If you do major pruning, they tend to throw up suckers everywhere around the tree. I think a little and often is the story. The Louisa plum is a real goody.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 26
4 years 1 month ago #503241 by kindajojo

terralee;507151 wrote: Don't suppose you could send the excess here ...I would of course pay the transport costs [;)] oh and same for the apricots ...all transportation costs covered[^]
Cheers

If Kai has any excess I am coming up to Tekuiti next Monday 9th.....

• Thank you received: 39
4 years 1 month ago #503248 by kai

kindajojo;509352 wrote: If Kai has any excess I am coming up to Tekuiti next Monday 9th.....

Sorry been and gone a long time ago, we are earlier than most in Kapiti with our fruit. Picked apples in December even[:0]

• Thank you received: 18
4 years 1 month ago #503257 by RaeM1

lsb member

Re: Bottled plums - can they be used for Jam?
This is a receipe for Plum Chutney, and I think you could convert your bottled plums to something like this. 4lb ripe plums (skinned and stoned) (I put mine into the pot cooked them with some water, and as the stones showed up pulled them out, and I did not worry about the skins) 1lb Apples, peeled and cored, Boil with 1 1/2 brown sugar, for 15 minuites( I added the sugar after getting the stones all out, and I did not have that total amount of sugar, so added some white to it) then add 1 1/2 lbs sultanas, (stoned and chopped) ( I just chucked them in as they were) 1 onion cut small, 1/2 oz chillies, and 1 oz ground ginger. I did not add that much as I felt it would not be eatable. Boil 3 hours and strain through a colander before bottling ( I got the wizzer mixer and gave the whole lot a good wizz, and then bottled the result. (the receipe says to put into jars and cover while hot. It is delicious and you have to go by taste as to what chilli and ginger you add. This is out of an old TRUTH receipe book that was my mums, YUMMY, and a great way to use up a mixture of plums and apples you may have on hand.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.