Register

Topic-icon Green house goes up

• Thank you received: 441
4 years 9 months ago #488922 by Stikkibeek

RichardW;469793 wrote: Never thought about growing cauliflower inside before,good idea,I should grow some in pots then plant them about June when the tomatoes come out

Richard have you tried cauliflower in your greenhouse yet? Just started picking this seasons efforts. very very nice is fresh cauliflower and I think a definite advantage not having rain scald on it as it stays nice and white.

I still have one lonely tomato producing fruit. it managed to escape being burnt in the frosts we had a few weeks back so the fruit is slowly ripening. Not much flavour though, but still an advantage on buying equally tasteless ones at astronomical prices from the supermarket!

In early July we are getting some big trees topped which are currently casting shade on one of the green houses for a good part of the morning. That should also allow better sunlight onto the lovely navel orange we have which can be relied on to produce good fruit.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 9 months ago #489043 by Stikkibeek

Something I forgot to add.
I have Flander's poppies and calendula underway in the propagating house and also have successfully germinated some bulbils from my mother's beautiful white naked lady. Looking forward to increasing the number of these in my garden. At present the little plants are about 8cm tall. It's weird the way they grow. They put out a root first which is easy to mistake for the growing tip but it makes a determined effort to go underground. Then, it puts out a tip from that root all the while feeding on the fleshy bulbil (maybe the wrong word here) I've harvesed some nerine bubils too which I will try to germinate as well. They seem to do really well here.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/493604=14143-TM 267.jpg

3 years 11 months ago #506533 by Stikkibeek

Green houses cleared out of extraneous summer weeds and almost ready to get winter vegetables in. Some already in the smaller propagating house, and a good assortment in the outdoor gardens which we are already starting to harvest.
I planted some mixed salad lettuce plants in the lower hydroponic tube and they are well away too. Looking forward to some cauli and broccoli heads, but a bit early for them yet. One good thing about the cooler weather, means the white cabbage moth seem to have disappeared.

• Thank you received: 86
3 years 11 months ago #506535 by max2

Are you still happy with your purchase Stikki? Is there anything you would change?

(my cheap one has the top completely blown out of it now but it served its purpose, heading to fielddays with a view to buying a proper one).

3 years 11 months ago #506540 by Stikkibeek

Yes Still loving them. I certainly like the auto vents. On our old one, I had to stand on a box just to reach the catches and manually open them. Good thing with that one was buying a second one the same model and stitching them together with doors at both ends. That solved the ventilation problems nicely.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.